Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1 work with NVME?

Nov 6, 2018
A friend just mailed me the following
Asus X99 Deluxe U3.1
i7-5820k
16GB DDR4 2400
Asus Rog Strix 1080ti OC

Asus Site describe the M.2 as:
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with vertical M Key design, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (Support PCIE SSD only)

My question is, will an M.2 NVME such as the Samsung 970 Evo work in this Mobo?
If so, where does it go? I do not see an m.2 slot, or do I need to purchase something?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
lol. I didn't notice that the board had that there. Couldn't find anything like that online.
If that's where it goes, then that's where it goes. And yes, it'll accept NVMe, since NVMe uses PCIe connectivity to work and that M.2 slot is PCIe connectivity only as far as I can tell.

As long as you have the bracket for it like in the pic you should be good to go.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yes. since it says it's PCIe only that means it has to be PCIe capable connection type for the SSD itself, so NVMe is perfectly fine.

Here's where it's at.

--edit--
Sorry, wrong pic. will update shortly

--Update--

No need for pic. sorry about that.
The motherboard comes with a PCIe M.2 adapter when purchased new.

If your friend didn't give that to you along with all the other goodies that came with the motherboard when it was purchased, then that's probably why you're confused.

If you already have an M.2 SSD then you can remedy this by buying an adapter.

Otherwise, if you don't already have one, then just get yourself a regular 2.5" SATA SSD.

below is the picture from ASUS website showing the extra hardware the mother board comes with initially. You can see the PCIe M.2 adapter right there on the left

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png

Nov 6, 2018

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
lol. I didn't notice that the board had that there. Couldn't find anything like that online.
If that's where it goes, then that's where it goes. And yes, it'll accept NVMe, since NVMe uses PCIe connectivity to work and that M.2 slot is PCIe connectivity only as far as I can tell.

As long as you have the bracket for it like in the pic you should be good to go.

Solution
Nov 6, 2018
@xSimply1337x
Thanks, I just buy a NVME and give it a try then, although a SATA SSD sounds much better due to the cost difference.

@The Original Ralph
Thank you for the info and link. This mobo is pretty crazy as it has 8 SATA + 1 SATA Express. I can easily loose a few.
UPDATE:
The M.2 Socket 3 Shares bandwidth with the PCIe X 16_5 slot.
Looks like it doesn't even uses SATA bandwidth