ASUS Z170-AR MBO Won't Post??

GuitarStosh

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
Running into a strange system behaviour. Strange for me anyway, haven't had this type of problem before.

System (Desktop Build - See below) was running along fine and then just stopped. Like I had held in the Power Switch until it stopped. Its primary use is a media server running Plex and at the time it seemed busy (CPU kicked up) but when checking it was only doing MS Search Update and MS Media Player Connection Server was running but I was not actually using anything. I had just plugged in about 5 min. earlier a phone that I was planning to copy some files to. I did notice a small static arc when plugging in the USB cable to front panel port however but it didn't immediately affect the system if that might be the potential cause.

Anyway - Pulled PSU - tested fine (paper clip test with only fan plugged in)
Put in new known working PSU from another system anyway. Hooked everything back up.
System tried to start, ran for perhaps 4-5 sec. (no beeps that I remember) and stopped, then tried to start again very briefly on its own for a split second and stopped again.

Any attempt to get it turn on fails. I pulled the case power switch connection off MBO and tried to jump the pins quickly just to see if simple switch issue. No effect. I do have power to components. GPU LED comes on as well as an LED on the MBO when turning on switch at PSU. I moved to another area of house for testing, different circuit, powerstrip, etc. Same power cord though but it did test ok with old PSU test.

I'm guessing the MBO. Wondering if pulling everything off of systems except single DIMM and CPU will be of any help to confirm?

Any guidance from someone with similar experiences would be greatly appreciate from this very knowledgeable community....

GS
--------------

ASUS Z170-AR LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6700 SkyLake 3.4 GHz LGA 1151
EVGA SuperSC 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL15 Dual Channel
Samsung M.2 960 EVO 500G
Asus GTX1060-03G GPU
2 - Toshiba 4TB HD
1- Seagate 1.5GB HD
3,0 USB PCI Expansion Card
LG BDRE - (dont have model number handy)
Corsair CX750M PSU, CX850M PSU (secondary test)
Corsair Carbide 300R ATX Mid-Tower

Solution

There is no guarantee it will help, but it's quick and easy to try it and see. Clearing the CMOS will return the BIOS to it's default settings.

GuitarStosh

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I have not tried that. Thanks for the response. I gave it up and took MBO back for replacement as I had Mtce plan on it. Swapped in new board, everything identical. Fired right up and running fine. Only thing different was replaced MBO.
Could CMOS prevent any system start completely for future reference?

There is no guarantee it will help, but it's quick and easy to try it and see. Clearing the CMOS will return the BIOS to it's default settings.

Solution