Asus z170-k bios not detecting s951 m.2 pcie

JP-sabah

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
I've just finished a skylake 6600k build using the Asus z170-k mobo & a128gb samsung s951 m.2 pcie, but the BIOS does not seem to detect the m.2 drive!!

It's been driving me crazy. I wanted to use the m.2 as my OS. I have removed it and reconnected it but still nothing showing on the bios. I have updated the bios to the latest ver from Asus. Have installed win8 on a separate sata ssd and windows does not detect it either..?? I have tried the various BIOS settings with no luck.....

anyone got any bright ideas? :(

JP-sabah

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
Sorry I pressed the wrong button just now.

Yes I have ran windows 8 installer in uefi mode with all other drives removed. Once it gets to the part where do you want to install it doesn't even show there either.

Have

Bob_4

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
I just finished a 6600k build myself a few days ago too, using a s951 512 achi m.2 pcie. The only way I get the drive to show as a bootable device is to enable legacy+uefi in my bios settings (MSI M5 mb). If I try using uefi only it won't show up. Check you mb to see if you have an option to use legacy+uefi bios.

TitanStorm

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015

I have the same issue with Skylake 6700k and Asus Z170 Deluxe. Does not detect Samsund ssd 850 EVO. UEFI is enabled in Bios
Have you solved it?

sailonset

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Just built an ASUS Z170M-PLUS and was stumped by the BIOS not seeing the SM951 M.2 SSD. The answer is "ignore it" and boot the Windows install DVD. It sees it. I used ASUS' EZ Install to create a modified Win 7 DVD with no problems.

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015

Hi there, I have the asus z170 gaming pro mobo and the 256gb SM951 M.2 drive installed in the M.2 slot in the mobo, I intend to install windows 7 pro x64 on Saturday. I have the windows DVD but I have read that you need to install windows 7 onto the sm951 M.2 drive using a bootable USB drive only.... is this true?? .........or can I plug my external DVD drive into the usb port and install from my original windows DVD from there? when you said " I used ASUS' EZ Install to create a modified Win 7 DVD with no problems" can you explain what you mean by "modified" and how to go about it? Is ASUS ' EZ install a program and if so do you have a download link? many thanks !!

sailonset

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
On ASUS support page for your motherboard you should find a download for this file: DE164_100_Series_Windows_7_Setup_Guide_print.
This explains the issues about the timing of USB drivers diring installation. It offers three solutions to making the install work. The third, using their EZ Install program (another download) turned out to be the simplest. It creates a modified ISO of the Windows DVD which you then burn to your own disc.

monkey4sale

Honorable
Apr 20, 2015
Sailonset's method worked for me! Used EZ Install to create the modified windows ( can be put on USB or DVD) and I didn't have any problems installing. Where as using other methods I had fail after fail! EZ install is pretty straightforward to use, but I found an "installing an OS" section in my motherboard manual which gives a step by step guide of how to install windows using EZ-install. Thanks sailonset!

Pizdek

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Helo guys!

I have ASUS Z170-p D3 motherboard with Samsung SSD on M.2. Same problem occur on install as was initialy written on the top message. I try all instructions read in this post but with no luck. Windows setup procedure in my case don't recognize disk on M.2. On BIOS boot the drive can be seen but on Advanced option it stands, that M.2 slot is empty. I try several different approach from USB stick, from USB DVD device or from internar DVD reader but no luck. Did aynone succseed to instal system on Z170-P D3 mobo?

Regards, PK

mr_trotta

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
I had the same issue. I was able to search and find drivers on another forum. I burned them to a disc on my old PC. I booted into the disc drive to load Windows 7 and then had to load the drivers from the burned disc to have Windows 7 recognize the M.2 drive. Later on I tinkered with some bios settings and now the mobo won't boot from the m.2 unless I go into the bios and then select the drive. Can't figure out how to correct that. Google search led me here.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
My answer might not be relevant because I had a slightly different issue, but have you all tried flashing the BIOS with the latest version? My problem was that I initially put 4 HD's (all SATA) into the system, and the BIOS settings would only show 3 of them, though the boot menu would show them all and Windows could see them all. Once I flashed the BIOS, all drives now show in the BIOS settings.

ptmvette

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
I have the same issue as others here are reporting with the M.2 not being seen on the the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming board, except I am trying in install Linux, so all of the Windows tricks are not applicable. This is a system at work being used in a workstation/server role. I went to the Asus support site about 5 or 6 weeks ago and filed an official request for help about this issue. After 3 weeks and a second attempt to ping them, I got a generic mindless response along the lines of "thank you for posting a question. we will get back to you". Several weeks later and they have not gotten back to me.

In October when I made the report to Asus, I was using the October 5th version of the bios. Other matters have been higher priority at work, so the project was put aside since then. I expect they will eventually have a bios fix.

I see there is now a November 11th bios release. Did anyone here use that bios version yet? Did it make a difference?

Thanks for keeping the thread going.

Cheers,

Omegahim

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I know it's strange but the same detection problem occured to me on a Gigabyte Z170 HD3p Motherboard when I only had the integrated VGA. After installing a PCIe VGA the m.2 SSD module was detected in UEFI BIOS.

Do you have a PCIe VGA installed?

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
After my last post in this thread, I actually bought a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD and had a hell of a time trying to get it to be detected by the BIOS so I could use it as a boot drive (Windows detected it fine, so it was usable as a data drive, but I couldn't add it to the list of bootable devices). Ultimately I had to set to UEFI-only boot and had to clean install Windows on the drive (I initially tried to clone my existing HDD to it, which didn't work). Ensure that you select the UEFI mode of your installation drive (optical or USB), the drive name should start with UEFI on the boot devices list. Additionally, I had to delete all partitions on the drive so that Windows could partition it correctly prior to the installation. Finally, in the ASUS Z170-A BIOS/UEFI settings, you need to (counter-intuitively) set the M.2/SATA Express option to SATA Express (which forces the SATA Express to go through the SATA controller and lets M.2 go to the PCIe bus). After installing Windows, all other bootable devices vanished and "Windows Boot Manager" was the only bootable device, which correctly booted Windows from the SSD. To boot from a legacy device after that, you have to change from UEFI boot to legacy. it's possible to change between then as needed.

CayceBalara

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Thanks for this - this was killing me. I'd set it to "M.2", install the m.2 drive, and it would reset itself back to SATA Express. I could NOT understand WTF was going on.

TommyGamerV12

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

Hey, i got a question... By UEFI-Only do you mean this??

http://imgur.com/8u20cBc

CayceBalara

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Yes, I believe that's what he means, at least that's how I had things set when I ultimately got it to work.

Also, of note, I wasn't able to make any of it happen until I upgraded BIOS to latest/greatest. Once I did that, though, everything fell into place. Finally.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

That's the right setting for that, but then when you're installing Windows either from a DVD or a USB flash drive, you have to select the UEFI version of your installation disk (e.g., you'll be shown both "USB" and "UEFI: USB" on your list of bootable devices, choose the UEFI one). If you don't have a UEFI option, make a UEFI-compatible installation disk on a USB flash drive (http://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-installation).

Ismael Vene

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I have the same problem with asus z170 gaming pro but only now since i flash it to the latest ver of bios...so the problem is befor flashing works perfect but now when it is pluged in m.2 samsung 950 pro and sata ssd not detect my m.2 ssd but when nothing pluged work perfect. And i have os instaled on m.2 ssd.

dmal99

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
This is what I did to install Windows 10 from USB onto a samsung 950 pro 256 m.2 and also use a SATA SSD RAID... it took FOREVER to figure out the bios settings so i hope this helps.

First, I put in the 950 m.2 only, and then change bios to the settings below:

in ADVANCED\PCH Storage Configuration
hyper kit mode off
sata controllers enabled
smart self test on
m.2 pie storage RAID support disabled
sata express PCIE Storage Raid Support Disabled
Agressive lPM Disabled

In Advanced -> USB Configuration
Legacy USB Support Enabled
XHCI Hand-Off Disabled
Usb Keyboard and Mouse Simulator Enabled

advanced -> onboard devices configuration
PCI-EX16_3 bandwidth X4 Mode
SATA Mode Configuration: SATA Express (NOT m.2, as i found out)

Boot -> CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Configuration
Launch CSM Enabled
Boot Device Control UEFI Only
Boot From Network Devices Ignore
Boot From Storage Devices Legacy Only
Boot From PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices UEFI Driver First

Boot -> Secure Boot
Secure Boot State Enabled
Platform Key PK State loaded
OS Type Windows UEFI mode

Now, once you are done setting this, plug in the windows USB Stick and boot up the machine with only the m.2 plugged in, it should see it and you should be able to install the windows, then once you reboot are sure it works, you can install all the drivers and whatnot you need.

Then once that is all done, you can move on the SSD RAID

hook up the SATA SSD Raid Drives, then go into the bios EZ configuration screen and press f11 to get the raid setup up. Pick SATA then pick next, and go through the steps to pick raid 0 or raid 5. Once you reboot the computer SHOULD boot from M.2 and all windows will see the sats raid drive as a drive to be initialized and partitioned in disk manager. it will take a bit to format, but once its done assign a drive letter and bam

M.2 OS Drive and SATA RAID on z170-ar .... took me literally four hours of trial and error and going nuts to figure this out.

I assure you it works though.

Also, just so you know, I am on the 1702 ASUS bios, the latest one.

Andyc001

Commendable
May 15, 2016

Just completed a new build with the Asus Z170 and had the same issues with a 950 PRO, and Window's 7 not detecting the M.2 drive, after searching many forums i have come across the following info, and I'm now installing win7 on my new drive. Please see below on how to obtain the drivers, you will need to sign up to the Forum to get access to the files, it's the only way.

I finally did get it to work. There are Samsung drivers available as described below from a thread in another forum:

" ... have to add the drivers for the Samsung pro drive when you go to install Win 7, after selecting the language, there will be an option to Load Drivers at the empty partition window. Click on that and specify the usb drive that you have the drivers stored on

Unfortunately Samsung only has them listed as a .exe and no option to extract it so you would have to get them from here

http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recom...e-Drivers.html

And you want to get the ">pure 32/64bit Samsung NVMe Driver v1.4.7.16 WHQL<"
Download that and extract it and copy those files/folder to a usb drive and you should be good ..."

The M.2 drive is still not seen by the bios but W7 boots off of it without a problem. I don't understand this as I thought Windows depended on the bios to interface with all the hardware.

Hope this is of some help :)

Adkid88

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
Right this will solve it for win 10 users with usb. install update for your bios to 1910 from asus site I used a usb and ez flash setting takes about 10 mins it will reset your pc then finish installing the update. unplug all sata drives from your mobo change your boot order usb drive first with win 10. Now m2 can be seen in the boot drive window save and exit install windows to your m2 as Windows is about reset on the restart enter bios change boot order m2 drive plug in your sata drives save and exit say hello to your fresh install of windows 10 on your m2.