Asus z170 pro. Can't change ratio of anything else

pr3dict

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi all. I got 1151 Asus pro and 6600k. For whatever reason I can't overclock the cpu. When I change the mode to manual it does not let me choose the voltage or the ratio. Also I don't see a llc menu anywhere... Am I doing something wrong or (please don't be the case) do I have a defective board?

Solution
So, exactly as I said. I know it seems counterintuitive, but that's what I was saying about these new UEFI bios, and they are pretty much all that way. ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock all use that same type of character/field scheme. I'm sure MSI does as well, but I haven't done any overclocking on any of the newer MSI boards as I still find them to be lousy boards due to MSI's poor quality control.
What do you mean by "can't overclock the CPU"? In the BIOS you need to select the field, type the value you wish to change it to and then hit enter on your keyboard to make the change stick. If you simply click in the field, it's not going to go blank like in windows. You need to backspace and then you need to enter your value. You must hit enter after making the change in EACH field you change.

Honestly, if you lack the understanding of how to make changes to values in the bios, then making changes to overclocking values might not be the best idea until you are more familiar with the bios layout and behavior.

Yes, you are doing something wrong. No, you do not have a defective board. I see ten threads like this a week where folks who are not familiar with UEFI bios settings think that they are unable to change the field values when in reality it's simply that they are not understanding how to make those changes.

What is the exact motherboard model, because LGA1151 ASUS Pro is not a model number. It's a combination of the socket type and part of a model name.

pr3dict

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I've been running on an i5 2500k at 4.5 for 5 years now and 2 560tis overclocked as well. That was on an asrock board that was much simpler to work with in my opinion.

This new Asus bios just didn't seem to work. It's not my lack of understanding that is the problem but more so a terrible UI.

I have read a thread that the bios chipset was defective and did not allow for changes. That is why I threw that option into the mix.

I'll take a photo later but I don't see some options. The cpu multiplier isn't even a field anywhere. I can change the field for base clock but Im not looking to do that.

pr3dict

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hahaha I just watched a YouTube video on the bios and am amazed at how many people find ASUS bios easy to use.

I see now the setting that has clock multiplier default says Auto. The thing that amazes me is that is where you type the new multiplier amount. Terrible design. Especially in a bios have I never seen a field that has typable input values in numbers and letters. I would have never thought to type a number in a field that has auto prefilled. I would have expected it to atleast highlight if it was changeable.

So, exactly as I said. I know it seems counterintuitive, but that's what I was saying about these new UEFI bios, and they are pretty much all that way. ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock all use that same type of character/field scheme. I'm sure MSI does as well, but I haven't done any overclocking on any of the newer MSI boards as I still find them to be lousy boards due to MSI's poor quality control.

Solution