[SOLVED] Asus Z170A - One M.2 drive installed - trying to use adapter to add second. Doable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2020
Hi folks,

I have an I7-6700K paired with an Asus Z170A mobo and a GTX 1080 running WIN10 Home. The mobo already has a 1GB stick of M.2 on it (HERE). Thanks to STEAM im starting to run low and wanted a second gig. But with only one slot on the mobo, i thought i could use this Rivo adapter paired with this drive.

Rivo M2 to M Key PCI-E X4 Adapter Card, Supports M.2 NVMe AHCI 2280, 2260, 2242, 2230 SSD

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD, up to 2000MB/s - CT1000P1SSD8

Long story short, I plugged it it, powered it up, and i can see its getting power, but nothing shows up in BIOS and Windows shows an unrecognized device. There are no drivers needed for the card so im at a dead end.

I did try following the advice on this YouTube video HERE but even after:
  • Plugging the card into the bottom last PCI_EX16_3 slot
  • Changing in the BIOS:
    • Changing the PCI_EX16_3 Bandwidth from AUTO to X4 mode
    • Changing PCIe speed from GEN3 to GEN2
    • M.2/SATA Express mode set to M.2
    • Disabled SATA6G_56 and SATA6G_66 manually (just in case)
And nothing. Does not register in the BIOS. I'm out of ideas.

Please note this drive isn't to be a boot device, just a secondary storage location for my STEAM library.

Is this because the chip on my mobo is NAND SATA but the secondary i bought is NVMe and the the SATA Express mode is throwing it off? I'm sorry but this is just sooo frustratingly confusing i would hate to admit defeat and take this into my local store and pay them to fix.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Apologies to all, total rookie mistake. Did not push the drive far enough into the adapter to make a solid click. Even tho i was able to get the screw into the mount to hold it down, it wasn't seated properly, thus nothing to reg in BIOS.

I'm seeing it in the BIOS now, all is well.

Lesson to all, don't be dainty when putting in cards and chips.. (cpu pins excepted of course)... as Obiwan would say "Use the force!"
Sep 25, 2020
Apologies to all, total rookie mistake. Did not push the drive far enough into the adapter to make a solid click. Even tho i was able to get the screw into the mount to hold it down, it wasn't seated properly, thus nothing to reg in BIOS.

I'm seeing it in the BIOS now, all is well.

Lesson to all, don't be dainty when putting in cards and chips.. (cpu pins excepted of course)... as Obiwan would say "Use the force!"

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.