Question Asus Z790-F can't ever awake from sleep or hibernation

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Asus Z790-F can't ever awake from sleep or hibernation

If it sits idle for any period of a few hours or so, I have to reset the cmos and/or start the pc without the RAM slotted so that it resets it and will have to boot into bios. Otherwise, if the pc is not being used continuously, and it enters any kind of C state or power saving mode, it never wakes up and it can't be hard cold booted anymore - as in- it produces no display and just sits on a black screen even though all of the lights come on and the fans all spin etc.

12700kf

asus rtx 4070

Corsair Vengeance 5200

Seasonic Focus PSU

ROG z790F

I set the windows power settings to never go to sleep, left it on "balanced", but tried to avoid it getting to C states, but sometimes it's kind of unavoidable.

Has anyone else had something similar happen?

MasterBlaster22

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Is there a motherboard bios update that might address your issue?
Yes, there is. I got hung up on flashing the bios though. Should it take a long time? Using the flash tool in the bios, before running the flash after selecting the new bios, it asks if I want to save and or backup "something" related to bitlocker.
I press, "yes" and then it gets "stuck" as in - it's unresponsive. I don't know what it's doing at that time. Maybe it is trying to save something or maybe I am not waiting long enough.

Asus Z790-F can't ever awake from sleep or hibernation

If it sits idle for any period of a few hours or so, I have to reset the cmos and/or start the pc without the RAM slotted so that it resets it and will have to boot into bios. Otherwise, if the pc is not being used continuously, and it enters any kind of C state or power saving mode, it never wakes up and it can't be hard cold booted anymore - as in- it produces no display and just sits on a black screen even though all of the lights come on and the fans all spin etc.

12700kf

asus rtx 4070

Corsair Vengeance 5200

Seasonic Focus PSU

ROG z790F

I set the windows power settings to never go to sleep, left it on "balanced", but tried to avoid it getting to C states, but sometimes it's kind of unavoidable.

Has anyone else had something similar happen?
Some reading.
https://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Windows-10-from-Going-to-Sleep

Yes, there is. I got hung up on flashing the bios though. Should it take a long time? Using the flash tool in the bios, before running the flash after selecting the new bios, it asks if I want to save and or backup "something" related to bitlocker.
I press, "yes" and then it gets "stuck" as in - it's unresponsive. I don't know what it's doing at that time. Maybe it is trying to save something or maybe I am not waiting long enough.
Flashing a bios does take more time than you might think.
It could be 15 minutes with apparently nothing at all going on.
Interrupting the process may cause recovery difficulties in some motherboards, particularly older designs.
I know little about bitlocker.
My guess would be to not try to save anything.
It may be trying to ask you for a password or such.