Question ASUS Z790-P is it dead?

Aug 8, 2024
Hi all
I got a new ASUS Prime Z790-P (WIFI CSM). I think it is dead. Appreciate second opinion and what else to try.

My PSU comes with the 24-pin power and an 8pin, but no 4-pin. Following the sticky: No Post System won't boot, I now have a new 4-pin along with the 24 and 8. The 4-pin might not be necessary - I have raised this with Asus online support and they also said it is not necessary.
Why I think the board is dead is that first I plugged in a few components and then powered it up. The components are CPU 14700K, CPU fan, 4070TI GPU and and m2 card, also plugged in system led, front panel stuff, and connected case fans. First powering up, nothing happens. No beep, no video, nothing.

I did the following (this is before I got the 4-pin power, but as above this might not be relevant):

1) Only motherboard, no components, power led plugged in
- 24 pin power plugged in, no other power pin
- Turn power on
- motherboard no light, case light comes up, solid, no flashing, stays on for at least 1 minute
- Turn power off

2) As (1)
- Add 8 pin power
- Turn power on
- motherboard no light, case light comes up as A) solid at least 1 minute
- Turn power off

3) As (2)
- Add CPU
- Turn power on
- motherboard no light, case light comes flashing rapidly, more than 30 seconds
- Turn power off

4) As (3)
- Add RAM Kingston Fury 8GB x2
- Turn power on
- motherboard no light, case light comes on solid for a fraction of a second, then flashing rapidly
- The Fury lights up too
- there is a click, seems to be from the PSU, then power cut off, PSU fan also stops
- Turn power off

5) 24 power, CPU, RAM
- Leaving the CPU, and RAM, on the motherboard
- Remove the 8 pin power cable
- Turn power on
- motherboard no light, case light comes up, solid, no flashing, stays on for at least 1 minute
- Turn power off

Is the problem with the PSU? No. PSU is Corsair RM850X. I got a spare PC. the 850x powered it up to BIOS and detected the m2.

An important aside is I bought the board at a computer shop in another country, with receipt. I know Asus UK warranty will not work for this case. If I want repair or return I have to go back to that country. I bought it July this year. I next visit the country early next year and should be ok to deal with it. Warranty is 3 years.

Is soaking the board in rubbing alcohol (99%) likely to get it back alive? But that will void warranty?

Also, at this moment I cannot test the CPU to be working. It's bought at the same shop ;)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Did you breadboard the system outside of the case to see if it works? Perhaps you're having a grounding issue? Inspect CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins. Loosen the CPU cooler mount until it's merely resting on the CPU's IHS.

Aug 8, 2024
ASUS Prime Z790-P WIFI CSM
CPU i7-14700k
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D9L
RAM Kingston FURY Beast Black RGB XMP 8GB 6000MT/s DDR5 CL30 DIMM x2
M.2 SSD Ediloca EN206 512GB 3D NAND
ASUS ProArt 4070TI OC 16GB
Corsair RM805X
Fractal Design Define 7

(Edit) Yes I have connected PSU to the MB outside of the case. No difference in or out of case. I wondered if I shorted the MB. The Define 7 case has standoffs, or am I wrong