ASUS Z87 constantly boots to UEFI Bios Utility instead of Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hmshfn

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Gryphon Z87 / BIOS version 0801
Intel Haswell i7-4770
Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Pulling my hair out here. I've set this new computer up, but 19 time sout of 20 when I reboot, instead of taking me to Windows it takes me to the UEFI Bios Utility instead.

I know Windows is installed because I've been able to get in a few times (no rhyme or reason as to why it works or doesn't) and set up basically everything. I've already reinstalled all my programs and transferred files and such.

I just don't even have a clue where to start because the UEFI Bios Utility is not telling me what it wants. I have the drive with Windows on it as first in the boot order.

I've tried save and exit, exit without saving, EZ Mode, Advanced mode, boot menu, hitting F8 before boot to go right to boot meny, UEFI and Other OS modes, on and on and on.

Last time i got it working, I had run the Win 7 disc with a repair but that isn't working this time.

I've searched all over to find someone with the same problem, but no luck. Any help is very much appreciated...

Solution
Alright I think I have it all figured out. For whatever reason, /something/ about the original install of Windows went badly. I don't know what, because I verified Windows was on c: and worked and used it for hours...

But whenever I rebooted, it would lose the indication that it was a system partition. Sometimes booting into windows repair worked, but usually not. There was another older drive that I have not had an OS on for ages, but which still had the bootmgr and was marked an active partition. Obviously something about that messed up the install on the new OS drive. (Though it was fine on my previous computer for years.)

I disconnected it, reinstalled from scratch on the new OS drive (right after having set everything back up...

FenderJohn

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
I have the same problem

"To select the boot device during system startup, press F8 when ASUS logo appears". does your hdd show?"

My HDD does show, but the only way I can get into Windows is by selecting "Windows boot manager" Which is installed on my SSD. Now when I get into Windows my HDD is nowhere to be found

Anton Sherar

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I have the same problem as well on my new built computer. I have the z97-a motherboard. It's not a super big problem, because my computer does work, but it just takes a long time to boot and starts in BIOS Utility EZ mode everytime.

Dod13

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
I have a new Chillblast Photo with an ASUS X99-S motherboard. All went fine until I installed 4x 4TB drives and moved the SDD. I put the SDD and DVD on SATA 1 and 2 when they had been on SATA 1 and 4 so that I coulkd plug the HDDs into SATA 3 and 4. This might be the cause of it seeing the SDD but not showing it in the boot list.

I held down F* at reboot and lo and behold a list of SATA devices appeared and selecting the SDD resulted in a boot to Windows. This happed before slightly differently with an ASUS P5E which sometomes loses the SDD after a power cut.

Bizarre......

Namethatnobodyhas

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Holy crap. That worked for me. Why the heck does this even happen? Lol

Anandraj_1

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

Anandraj_1

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

Anandraj_1

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I had the same problem running a Z97A Mobo. Just follow these steps
1) Get into Asus Bios UEFI setup
2) Go to "BOOT" tab
3) Change DirectKey(DRCT) to "disabled".
Reboot and it should work. Worked for me.
Just to post this solution I had to login using facebook. LOL

RayJay110

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

RayJay110

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
I had this problem w an X99aA mobo, and like you, pulling my hair. I RMA one already with this problem, Beware of the USB things you have connected. My problem was an USB Alienware Keyboard. I replaced it w a 10 dollar keybord and it worked.Disconnect any usb on the I/O panel, them try a different keyboard and mouse.Also try F8 and select the drive w Windows on it. You can access windows like this. Good Luck

HolyHoundz

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Try booting up puppylinux CD create new partion completely wipe the old - mkfs /dev/sda - will fully wipe it in terminal any Linux then preparation it then boot windows CD and delete create u new partion exit reboot CD back into install with new partion format n install should all be good then.... Windows don't clean the mbr properly

Pencils

Reputable
Mar 8, 2015
I can't find where I got this link from now, but thanks to whoever posted it wherever you are. Very well explained.

http://scottiestech.info/2015/11/12/fix-uefi-bios-boot-problems-on-a-new-motherboard/

In summary for my attempt:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3039565/win-boot-bios.html#17859710

Although I hadn't made any system or hardware change to explain why anything stopped working, I followed all his Bios setting suggestions only, and got Win & to boot normally again (I didn't update my Bios version though).

In Bios / Advanced / Boot page, these settings fixed me up in combination:

Disabled 'Fast Boot' and 'DirectKey', as well as 'Option ROM Messages' (set this one to 'keep current' was only other option available here). Should note, I tried only these settings earlier alone and that didn't work.

Under 'CSM (Compatibility Support Module)' set 'Launch CSM' to 'Auto'

Set 'Secure Boot' to chosen specific OS Type or 'Other OS' ('Other OS' is what was available to me)

HJCurtisS259

Commendable
May 8, 2016
I have the same issue but I just fixed it. If you are using a liquid cooling system and you have an error message saying that it is not detecting a cpu fan then that is why it keeps you going to the bios menu. All you need to do is go into Boot>wait for 'F1' if error>disabled> then save. That should fix the issue if you are using a liquid cooler and getting the cpu fan error message

colton_5

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

colton_5

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Have the same problem but I don't have windows on my laptop I can't get the windows 8 installation disc to come up as much as I try I just don't understand what's going on so I need help need computer for school

Pill__Cosby

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
I am having the same issue. I built this pc two days ago and installed this new asus h170 gaming mobo. I can only get to window by clicking boot menu (bottom right) and selecting the os drive

Charity_3

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016

I don't see priorities as an option in Boot.

I keep getting the prompt for Advanced > Boot > CSM. I've tried all sorts of setting changes in CSM, but nothing works.

This is a brand new ASUS, M32AD, and I can't get past the BIOS utility screen. I called ASUS, they want me to send it in. I checked with Amazon, but I'm just outside of the return period since I bought this computer just over a month ago, and am just now setting it up for his birthday. I'm beyond frustrated!

Pill__Cosby

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of those boot options pages. That was the mistake I made as I didn't notice here was more page to be viewed. Tho I think something like that should be much easier to locate for the average user.

I don't see priorities as an option in Boot.

I keep getting the prompt for Advanced > Boot > CSM. I've tried all sorts of setting changes in CSM, but nothing works.

This is a brand new ASUS, M32AD, and I can't get past the BIOS utility screen. I called ASUS, they want me to send it in. I checked with Amazon, but I'm just outside of the return period since I bought this computer just over a month ago, and am just now setting it up for his birthday. I'm beyond frustrated!
[/quotemsg]

Charity_3

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
It only shows up if I have the CSM set up for Legacy only or if they include Legacy and UEFI. But it won't show up with just UEFI. Either way, it still sends me back to the UEFI BIOS utility page any time I try to exit (after hitting "Save Changes & Reset").

Charles_87

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016

Xelas2000

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

Same here with alienware keyboard. I plugged the keyboard into a self-powered USB port then the port into the computer and that solved my boot problems. Hope this helps someone else with their issues. This is a brand new Dell XPS 8900 by the way so the alienware keyboard don't even play nice with its own kind!