Question ASUS Z87-PRO BIOS interface frozen.

FH2K

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
i7-4770K/RTX 2060S/2x8
Thermaltake Litepower 700W

Last week, my BIOS interface stopped working mysteriously somehow. But I didn't care since I could still access my OS. Recently, I had to wipe my SSD and install another OS. Since my BIOS wouldn't work I did the formatting and installation on my office computer. When I came home and plugged my SSD to my computer, I got this error: "ERROR: LEGACY BOOT OF UEFI MEDIA". Unfortunately, I can't access my BIOS interface and therefore there is nothing I can do about this.

When I boot into BIOS it's totally blank just like in the picture I've uploaded.
There is no text, no mouse/keyboard input.

Tried clearing CMOS by shorting the jumper and pulling out the battery.
Unplugged my peripherals and drives, I even unplugged my graphics card. Then I basically unplugged and then plugged everything in my system. :eek:
Tried to boot with one stick of RAM.
Flashed BIOS a couple of times.
Tried with an Aerocool PSU (600W).

I did everything I could but it's still frozen. I urgently need help, thanks in advance.

BIOS Screen:
GzwgJ6g.jpg

Both that Thermaltake litepower and Aerocool PSU are garbage. While I can't guarantee you that your problem is power delivery, I can guarantee you that those are both junk and COULD be at the root of your problem. I'd find a better PSU, either to buy or to borrow, to see if you still have the same BIOS access and visual corruption issues you are seeing there.

IF after trying with a better PSU you still have the same issue, then you likely have a completely corrupt BIOS ROM or other motherboard issue. I'd probably start by trying a new CMOS battery though. For two bucks, it could be a quick fix. I've seen dead CMOS batteries cause more than just the loss of the CMOS saving it's settings, I've often seen systems with a variety of unexplained symptoms, just like this one, and yours is definitely old enough to warrant replacement.

If the CMOS battery and PSU do not solve the problem, then it is probably time for a motherboard replacement or platform upgrade, since these boards are getting to the point where they are too expensive for new ones and old used ones are not trustworthy or worth the cost unless you are lucky enough to come across a really good deal.

Reactions: FH2K

I must apologize as well, technically, because what I SHOULD have said, is that PRACTICALLY all Aerocool power supplies are garbage. There is one Aerocool line that I am aware of that is not, but I rarely reference it because I've only come across about three people who ever had one because they are so expensive compared to better models from other manufacturers. The Aerocool Project 7 units, which come in 650, 750 and 850w capacities, that I know of, are fairly decent. Other than that, every other Aerocool PSU to the best of my knowledge, is a PSU shaped object.

Thermaltake has a FEW decent models, like the various iterations of the Toughpower and Toughpower Grand series, but pretty much the rest of their units are pure garbage and that Litepower, or ANY power supply or AIO cooler with "lite" in the name, is just about guaranteed to be a dumpster fire in the making.

There, clarification complete. :)

FH2K

Reputable
Aug 9, 2016
I went and bought a Corsair HX850i and changed the CMOS battery. But the issue was BIOS software itself all along. I don't know how it got corrupted/damaged but when I flashed the oldest version of BIOS, it worked. Then I flashed the latest version and the issue was completely gone. Well, I suppose I won't have to change my PSU anytime soon at least.

Thanks for your support, Darkbreeze.

For sure. I was kind of leaning towards that which is why I mentioned it in my first reply, but I wanted to cover all bases AND you are right, it IS a good thing now that you have a very good PSU and that is something that you don't have to worry about OR worry about having a cheap PSU that is slowly killing your hardware. Glad you got it sorted out.