Question ASUS Z97-A DIMM Slot issues.

dcb949

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
Hello, I have been trying to diagnose what happened to my computer and let me give a little backstory so maybe you'll understand better.

This is the 2nd or 3rd z97-a ive gone through in about 6 years so i know its not a good board... This is also a USED mobo.

A few days ago I went into bios to do some basic overclocking and reached a little further than my knowledge grasp... I'm should have done more research on OCing memory but I had done it before with no problem so I figured it wouldn't hurt turning up my MHz from 1666 to like... 2k something and my computer gave me the black screen with no beeps or anything so I cleared CMOS which wouldn't work until I pulled my computer piece by piece apart to find that only the 1st slot out of my 4 DIMM slots was working. I could use either piece of my ram as long as it was in slot A1... A2, B1, B2, would not let my computer start with ram in it.. So I'm running on 8GB of ram right now w/ default bios settings etc.

Is there a program or a way I can find out if my DIMM slots are actually broken, or if I'm just missing something? I have already checked for BIOS update and am running the current version 2801 w/ the Asus z97a.

I did build this myself and know how to correctly assemble and disassemble computers but I'm not great at diagnosing them.

EDIT: a little piece i left out was after i figured out the problem, when i started my computer i would get CPU FAN ERROR. I took my computer apart again this time removing the water cooling fan/heatsink and using a different pattern to put it back together. this fixed my CPU overheating issue and im now back at a nice 28-35 w/o any OC.. It was going up to 88-90 before i took it apart and reassembled it.

PC Specs
Manufacture: Myself
Case: Thermaltake Commander G41
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A
CPU: Intel i7-4790k
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
Memory: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G3 750w
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H60 & 6x Corsair 120mm Fans
SSD1: Kingston 120GB SSD (OS SSD)
SSD2: Crucial 240GB (Games SSD)
HD: Asus 1TB Black (Storage HD)

Last edited:

dcb949

Commendable
Nov 25, 2018
I have downloaded something called Memtest86... and i think this tool only tells me if my RAM is bad, and not my ram slots.... does anyone know?