[SOLVED] Asus z97 blank screen at boot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cale810

Prominent
Oct 30, 2022
Hey, I just finished putting my first PC together and at start-up, I get a signal but it's just a blank screen. The motherboard I'm using has a red light on Boot_Device_Led and I have tried everything I can think of. Thanks.

And you're using just the iGPU from the CPU/motherboard with NO graphics card installed? And like I said before, you need to literally remove the graphics card from the motherboard to eliminate it as a source of problems.

If so, then can't be anything other than motherboard really.

Cale810

Prominent
Oct 30, 2022
yeah if you think its the motherboard do you have any other recommendations for a motherboard that would work with my current setup and within a $200 or so price range? Also, I changed my mind and I'm going for a decent-budget gaming setup if you have any ideas for that

yeah if you think its the motherboard do you have any other recommendations for a motherboard that would work with my current setup and within a $200 or so price range? Also, I changed my mind and I'm going for a decent-budget gaming setup if you have any ideas for that
So, Caleb, at the beginning I was very dubious about purchasing used hardware especially when it's more than six or seven years old. Seems that didn't play out well, which is what I was afraid of in the beginning BUT at least the CPU didn't cost much in order to get where we are. Memory, IDK what to tell you on that. Sell it. Somebody out there needs it like you did or return it if you can.

This is a perfect example of why buying used hardware from anybody you don't personally know, and trust, is, more often than not, a bad idea. Sure, you'll get plenty of people who are willing to drop into any thread, on any forum and say "But I've never had a problem and I buy used hardware all the time". So, ok. Sure. Maybe. But your sample of ONE is not representative of what MOST people experience, especially these days, in the power days of the scammer. People know they can get away with it and they know that when it comes to retribution, there is very little you can do. Ebay doesn't do a whole lot to protect buyers like they used to and in fact will go out of their way to protect the seller because without sellers they have no site, at all. They can live with 50% fewer buyers, but they can't live or survive if nobody is selling on their platform. So tie or questionable goes to the seller these days. And most sellers won't explicitly say "this part absolutely works like new or I'll replace it" in which case Ebay will tell you to shove off.

Non-Ebay used purchases are even, way worse risks.

So if you want to say this was a failed experiment and get something that you can get a guarantee on that works, and get the most for your money, then I have recommendations. If you want recommendations on trying to find more used parts, that will still have no guarantee, I can do that too but I think it is a much less desirable idea.

Used, this might, MIGHT, be a reasonable option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125336006747

But this would be a far better use of your money that would give you like 200% of the performance you could EVER get from that Z97 platform which is at least 8 years old.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($105.64 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock A520M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $232.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 19:48 EST-0500

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
It should come with the BIOS version you need unless you buy it from some podumb shop that's had it sitting on the shelf for more than a year. If it comes FROM one of the major retailers, should be fine.

Very unlikely at this point to get one with a BIOS version that is that much older.

Skip that cooler. Get the Thermalright assassin SE RGB. Much better cooler and still has RGB but same price.

The rest, eh, what you're willing to pay for I guess.

And if you can find the Thermalright Peerless Assassin, in any version of it, especially the SE versions, pretty hard to beat for the price or even spending much more on a cooler. Probably simply the very best bang for the buck cooler there's ever been, at like 35 bucks.

Cale810

Prominent
Oct 30, 2022
do you have any other recommendations for ram because the delivery date is January 5th-8th? The rest of the parts come before the 23rd. should I just find some compatible ram on PC builder or are there any brands I should shy away from or go for
?