ASUS z97 PRo (Wi-Fi ac) No output signal to the monitor and error code A2 on motherboard

Ryan Indian-Patel

Reputable
May 17, 2014
Hello,
I'm trying to help fix a desktop for a neighbour but I'm having no luck. The PC has been running fine for a year or two but suddenly is not outputting any video signal at all.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yG48Z8 (CPU is unknown to me sorry, don't want to take that out unless I really need to)

I have tried using the motherboard HDMI instead of the GPUs but it makes no difference. (Have also tried DVI)

As I have the Q-code A2 = IDE detect, I have removed all RAM and re-sat it I have also tried a single stick of ram (in different slots just incase). Removed all drives except the SSHD as that has the Operating system (Win 7 I believe) on, I also tried that in all the different SATA ports just to see if there was any difference but there was no change, monitor (Multiple Monitors tried) still says "no signal" and the Q-code A2 still appears on the motherboard.

I have tested the SSHD in my PC and it works perfectly fine but I am unable to check if the RAM works as its not compatible with my PC, but it unlikely both sticks of RAM have failed at the same time or is it?

I have also tried removing all drives to try and boot from a USB (I used the direct motherboard USB slots and also tried the case USB slots). I then get Q-code 99 but still no video output.

I have been around the PC and checked that all cables are connected correctly and even disconnected and reconnected them to be sure. Also removed the CMOS battery and put it back ...

Without the ability to get to the BIOS or see any video at I'm at a loss, I have tried everything I can think of at the moment, any help anyone can offer and I would be very grateful!

With BIOS issues like yours, I usually just reset CMOS. The boot, set all BIOS settings to default and go from there. While you're out it, may want to make sure that BIOS is latest. If that doesn't work ... even tho IDE is essentially obsolete, I have seen peeps fix it by removing / replacing SATA cables. Also, make sure you are connected to the Intel SATA ports rather than those on the secondary controller. If that fails, try connecting ONLY your boot drive.

Also seen it reported for CU fan issues which make no sense per the code given but as some have reported success addressing wring fan, wrong header or wrong min. speed, it's worth mentioning

You don't need to take parts out to identify them. CPUz will tell you what CPU is in the box. Or use Belarc Advisor to get a list of all components and software licenses. The A2 IDE issue would unlikely be solved by testing RAM. The best approach, well at least the one I usually take is to visit the RoG or VIP Asus forums... several Asus employees hang there and I have gotten some good answers in the past ... not always, but often enough to make the trip worthwhile.

Be aware that there's something else worth checking ... tho in the instance I was diagnosing there was no Q-code. Some monitors do not auto-detect the signal and you have to use the monitor's OSD to manually select HDMI / DVI whatever.

Ryan Indian-Patel

Reputable
May 17, 2014

Rest Cmos no change, tried having only boot drive no change, the monitor is on the right channel and is currently working with my personal desktop. Thanks for the input about CPU-Z but as there is no signal being output to the screen I can't loads the BIOS or the operating system and therfore can use any software to find out whats inside the PC.

I didn't think it would be the RAM thanks for confirming, I have had a look at them forums but can't find anything of much use but I'll see if I can post there as well.

Still have Q-code A2 and still no video displaying at all, I will try and replace SATA cables and get back to you. Any more suggestions are still very welcome. Thanks Jack and to anyone else in advance.

logainofhades

Titan
Would be good to verify that they haven't moved, or unplugged the system at all, and accidently plugged the monitor into the motherboard graphics port, instead of the graphics card. If that has been ruled out, remove the graphics card, and try running off the Intel IGP.

Ryan Indian-Patel

Reputable
May 17, 2014

Hi, the computer started playing up not outputting a signal but was apparently resolved by just turning the computer on and off but then after a while turning it on and off did nothing to help. I have tried using both the GPU and the IGP it made no change to the results (still no singal out out and still the Q-code A2).
Thanks you for your suggestion I appreciate it.

Jun 2, 2019
Did this ever get sorted? I'm sorry I'm dragging up an old thread, but my old beast has finally kicked the bucket with this exact symptom set.

PC wont post, no output to the display
Error code A2 with the hard drives plugged in
Error code 99 with the hard drives unplugged

I hope someone can help :(

Fit and healthy with no issues up until now.

Asus Z97 Pro wifi AC motherboard
Intel core i5 4690k (overclocked)
GTX 970 GPU
80+ Platinum PSU
Samsung evo SSD
Seagate barracuda 2tb HDD