[SOLVED] asus zen all in one z240IE hardware upgrade

Feb 10, 2020
I have Asus Zen All in One Pro Z240IE (Z240-PRO7SD) Production year: October 2017. Specifications: 8mb cache 2.90 GHz Intel core i7 7700T processor, 16gb DDR4 2400mhz RAM (8 GB X2), 1tb 5400rmp HDD, 128gb SSD M.2 SATA 3.

Usage Type: No games. No graphics softwares. Home user. But sometimes transfer large data like Blu-ray movies and work with large office word files.

The Pc is now in the technical service for noisy working issue. They will replace the cooling fan. I wanted to upgrade at the same time via IT. Since it's all in one Pc I can't open it all by myself.

Only RAM and storage units can be upgraded. I want to upgrade and change
16gb RAM with "CORSAIR 32gb (2x16gb) 2400mhz DDR4 CMK16GX4M1A2400C16",

128 SSD with "SAMSUNG 970 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD 512gb"

1tb HDD with "SAMSUNG 860 Pro 1tb 560mb-530gb/s Sata3 2.5" SSD (MZ-76P1T0BW)"

*I made the selection of parts with very limited technical knowledge. Is the brand / model preference correct? A better suggestion?
*Will these changes affect performance?
*Does it contribute to work PC quieter?
*Are the parts compatible? Do I have any problems due to part replacement?

The underlying reason for my desire to replace the SSD with SSD is that besides the capacity increase (Windows will be installed in this part), I think it will contribute positively to the overall performance of the PC, as it is a new technology. The reason why I want to replace the HDD with SSD is that it may also affect the overall performance, speed (I use it as a storage) while transferring data, and the other reason is that maybe it may contribute to the quiet operation of the PC, even if a little. What do you think on this issue?

Solution
Looks like you have 2x8GB already, making the first 'upgrade' fairly pointless for the workloads described. You're unlikely to be exceeding 16GB of RAM usage at all, so 32GB would simply be a waste of money.

I can't tell if your existing M.2 is NVMe or SATA. Some laptops/AIOs etc of the era were limited in their M.2 options to SATA only (although it's rare).

Personally, I'd forgo the HDD replacement with a 1TB HDD, unless your current HDD is failing. I would opt for a 1TB (or even 2TB, if you wanted/needed) M.2 SSD, and keep the 1TB HDD.

While an HDD contributes some noise, in such an enclosed space, it's not contributing more noise than the cooling fan(s) will be.

Yes, transferring to the HDD will not be particularly...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks like you have 2x8GB already, making the first 'upgrade' fairly pointless for the workloads described. You're unlikely to be exceeding 16GB of RAM usage at all, so 32GB would simply be a waste of money.

I can't tell if your existing M.2 is NVMe or SATA. Some laptops/AIOs etc of the era were limited in their M.2 options to SATA only (although it's rare).

Personally, I'd forgo the HDD replacement with a 1TB HDD, unless your current HDD is failing. I would opt for a 1TB (or even 2TB, if you wanted/needed) M.2 SSD, and keep the 1TB HDD.

While an HDD contributes some noise, in such an enclosed space, it's not contributing more noise than the cooling fan(s) will be.

Yes, transferring to the HDD will not be particularly 'snappy' vs the SSD, but with a larger SSD, the HDD can be utilized simply for bulk storage - ie, once something is transferred to the HDD, it stays there.

While your storage config will be sufficient for day-to-day use, ensure you implement a backup routine (preferably automatic) to preserve your data. SSDs won't give any warning if they're failing, and HDDs may/may not.

Solution
Mar 30, 2020
Ive got the same computer as you i think... 240IE. 16gb of ram, small SSD and a 1tB harddrive. I've solved my storage issues by having an external 2TB SSD connected through USB3.1, from which i have installed most of my apps etc. Basically only Windows on the internal SSE.

However, now i'm looking into maybe upgrading a few parts. the SSD firstly. I've seen a few videos on an older model of the computer (z240IC) and there are some guides on how to do it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Asus_Zen_AiO_Pro_Z240IC

These guides suggest its easy to upgrade the SSD to another M2 SSD (much faster than a 2.5 inch SSD)... However, i'm not sure if these lessons could be used on my Z240IE... IF anyone has opened it, please let me know if it's very similar or very different!

Secondly, i'd also love to update my network card, to get Wifi6 in the computer. Any ideas would be appreciated for this as well!