Question Asus Zenbook: flashing keyboard, hibernating/coma, hard to revive

Dec 1, 2019
Asus Zenbook UX430UAR.308
Win 10.0.1xxx, Build 18362
X64, Intel Core i5-8250UCPU at 1.60 GHz
8gb mem
14 months old

This has been going on for many months, but it's getting worse so here I am. When the laptop is unplugged and left alone for a while, it will go into some deep hibernation mode and it's often impossible to re-awaken - at least some of the time - without doing a hard reset (hold down on power button on keyboard for several seconds). Now it seems to be happening even when plugged in. At first I thought all I had to do was change the Win power settings - but I've checked that several times now, and nowhere do I choose Hibernate. In addition, when it goes into a coma the keyboard lighting often flashes, but stops when I revive it. But now it's flashing all the time and the computer is definitely running slowly. I've tried googling "zenbook flashing keyboard" more than once but none of the proposed solutions did me any good.

I figured maybe there was some Asus power setting bloatware that was over-riding the Win settings but if there is I can't find it.
Right now, it's plugged in and the battery is at 100% and the keyboard is still flashing. I posted all my power settings here: View: https://imgur.com/a/lR81puM

Finally I had a BSD moment yesterday. "stop code win32k power watchdog timeout". I have googled this and didn't find any clear fix for whatever caused this.

Okay, thanks.

EDIT:
  • scanned SSD with CrystalDiskInfo and no problems. Same with Win Disk Management.
  • another data point: the keyboard stops flashing when PC goes into sleep mode, starts flashing as soon as I touch keyboard.
  • HD Tune Pro 7.5: no problems discovered.
  • just did the Reddit Malware Removal steps, nothing found.
  • no errors found by Microsoft Memory Check tool.