Roman_16

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Hi!

I have been using an Asus zenbook q408 for a year now. The laptop gets super hot when running games. Yesterday I was playing bl2 on it with the 4k monitor attached (it isn't that hot when I play games on an external display). The windows just crashed with a BSOD error of 'clock watchdog timeout'.

I restarted it again and this time the games got laggy. I opened the task manager (no gpu 1 there, only the integrated AMD gpu marked as gpu0 running). Open device manager, no mx450 driver showing. Enabled hidden devices, now showing the driver (but says its disconnected and error 45). Tried to uninstall and reinstall it. Nvidia setup sends ping to the gpu, no response, driver not installed. 2 days back the windows 10 automatically upgraded to windows 11. But on there, nvidia mx450 was working fine.

Opened BIOS, no mentioning of dedicates gpu there as well. It's like it did not existed anymore. Opened the laptop, no visible sign of burnout. Everything looks fine. Not sure about the chips and components.

Tried:
  1. Installing the driver again
  2. Reinstalling BIOS (already on latest version)
  3. Reinstalling windows 10
  4. Installing all drivers (no device with warning sign)

What could be the problem here?

Lutfij

Titan
Are you sure it's not Error Code 43? What does GPU-Z tell you about your graphics card(s)? As for your OS, where did you source the installer for the OS?

I restarted it again and this time the games got laggy.
Perhaps your GPU burned out...due to overheating.

Roman_16

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Are you sure it's not Error Code 43? What does GPU-Z tell you about your graphics card(s)? As for your OS, where did you source the installer for the OS?

I restarted it again and this time the games got laggy.
Perhaps your GPU burned out...due to overheating.

Thanks for the reply.
No, the error was 45 'this error occurred because the device was previously connected....'

Gpu Z only shows the AMD Radeon Graphics.

The previous OS was Windows 10 Home and came installed when I purchased the laptop from someone. I was on the same Windows for 2 years. Microsoft pushed the Windows 11 update. I rejected it and still they installed it on my computer. The new Windows I installed was from the windows media creation tool.

I mean the laptop used to get hot when I used to play on laptop's own display instead of the secondary display (less hotter laptop when on it). Burnout might be possible since AMD laptops are notorious for being more heated but doesn't manufacturers already know this.

About the choppy game, actually it was running on the integrated Amd radeon graphics that is why it was lagging.

How do i know if the gpu is burned out? I did opened the laptop and there was no burn physically present on it.

Lutfij

Titan
The new Windows I installed was from the windows media creation tool.
Windows 10 or 11? As for the OS, did you let the OS download and install drivers it thought were right? I tend to disconnect from the www during OS install to prevent the OS from downloading the wrong drivers. In this regard, I tend to have my drivers on a pen drive, downloaded beforehand, then manually installing all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

For the sake of relevance, can you state what the BIOS version is at this moment?

Roman_16

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Windows 10 was installed. I downloaded the drivers from Asus website for the relative model and Os (windows 10 64 bit) and installed all latest version. The laptop was connected to the internet right after I installed the windows and when windows ask for internet connectivity in the start.

When I first purchased the laptop it didn't come with any drivers installed so I installed them and this time again I would install them like i usually do.

The Bios version is 301 which is the latest on available on Aus website for the model q408.

Oh another thing i don't know if it can contribute to this problem or not is that, when laptop was updated to Windows 11, after seeing the bsod error, I also saw windows defender marking warning on memory integrity (after restarting) and I enabled it after that. But again, I did a fresh windows 10 install later, so i think this shouldn't be relevant now.

Also the Gpu disappeared in Windows 11 while it was working. Like last night you were playing games and the next night you see that it doesn't exist anymore, no geforce experience opening, no drivers showing in device manager (available in hidden list, with error 45).

Also during this 2 years of use, I would sometimes notice the laptop having trouble deciding which gpu to run for games...it would run on the integrated graphics instead of dedicated one but I restart the Os and usually fixed that (already set applications to use mx450 in the nvidia settings).

Last edited:

Roman_16

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Hi!
Update 1:

After using my laptop for 2 weeks without the Nvidia MX450 working. Today, it appeared randomly as a '3D video controller' with an exclamation mark. Installed the latest Nvidia driver for MX450.

The driver now showing in the device manager... image
GPU Z image
Here are the events after that.

1. Getting first BSOD error as DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR (image)
  2. Windows 10 restarted and ran for a few minutes until this BSOD error: CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT (image)
  3. Windows 10 restarted again now working fine. Checked if the driver is still there. Yes, it's in Device Manager. No issues so far.
  4. Playing Among US with Task manager opened along with AC power now supplied. The game is freezing for short time and the Task manager shows sudden spikes to 100% with delays. Not responding now. Laptop stuck. Now shows the BSOD named DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR (image)
  5. Laptop restarted. Fan speed increased, laptop heating. On sleep mode heating as well, previously before the GPU issue, it would not heat, and no noise when was on sleep mode.
  6. Opened task manager, GPU 0 as MX450, shows 53 temps with no readings 0% while the AMD one shows 61-celsius temp (image)
  7. After a few seconds, temperature not being detected on GPU on the task manager. (image)
  8. Using cmd sfc/scannow and dism commands now. Completed. (image 1) (image 2)
  9. Restarted
  10. Trying to run the game again. BSOD with a new error which is 'VIDEO_TDR_Failure' ....what failed nvlddmkm.sys. (image)
  11. System restarted...Opened Task Manager GPU 0 only showing with AMD Radeon graphics. (image)
  12. Opened Device manager...No MX450 driver found (image)....Show hidden devices....MX450 appearing with code 45 (image)
Reached where we started lol. Do you think if the GPU is faulty or is it related to drivers.

Roman_16

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
2 days after this...The graphic card appeared in the device manager again and I played BL2 for like 30 minutes and the graphic card performance was fine. After 30 minutes the whole game stuck along with the OS and there wasn't even a BSOD error this time.

Restarted again, the graphic driver has disappeared now.