Question Asus Zenbook WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR every time at boot

Apr 27, 2023
Asus Zenbook 14" UX480F Core i5 CPU

Bluescreen error WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR always appears before I can do anything in windows
or the computer simply freezes and reboots during bootup.

I have tried all "solutions" that a google search can find.

Can't boot to windows, except occasionally I can log in for a few seconds before bluescreen.
Can't boot windows in safe mode either, same error/freeze
Can't even boot linux/windows from usb stick, this tells me that it's probably not a driver/software/ssd issue or anything like that?
I opened the laptop but nothing obvious out of place, no dust etc.

I was able to boot and run memtest+ from usb, no errors. Memtest allowed me to see the CPU temp and it was normal as far as I know, so it doesn't seem to be a temp issue. Temp peaked at ~80C but it took a long time to get there.

Tried updating to latest BIOS, problem remains
Tried changing various BIOS settings, nothing works
Disabling hyperthreading in BIOS results in a different error code but computer behaves the same

At this point I'm thinking it's a hardware problem (CPU? motherboard?) and that the computer is basically bricked (warranty expired). What do you think? Anything else I can try?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you remain in BIOS without any issues? I'd try and see if you can source another M.2 SSD and see if the OS can be installed on said latter SSD. It seems to me like the SSD might be failing, if you can remain in BIOS indefinitely.

Apr 27, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you remain in BIOS without any issues? I'd try and see if you can source another M.2 SSD and see if the OS can be installed on said latter SSD. It seems to me like the SSD might be failing, if you can remain in BIOS indefinitely.
Thanks :) Yes, BIOS is no problem, also memtest is fine. If the SSD is the problem, shouldn't I be able to boot from a linux/windows usb? I suppose I could try removing the SSD and see if I can at least boot from usb.

Apr 27, 2023
Thought I'd bump this thread with some additional info. I removed the SSD and it made no difference, still WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR when attempting to boot from USB stick.

Disabling hyperthreading in BIOS gives MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, but the behavior of the faulty computer is the same.

Any other ideas?