[SOLVED] Asussetup.exe vs Setup.exe

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
I have the Asus rog strix b350f gaming and i want to update my motherboard's drivers,so when i download and extract the chipset driver there are 2 .exe files,the one called 'asussetup.exe' and the other one 'setup.exe'!So the question is which one should i run?will it be any difference at all?

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
For my Motherboard (Asus ROG Strix B450-F) I ran setup.exe for every driver and/or utility that I downloaded from the Asus support page.

What exact Driver are you talking about?
i am talking about all the drivers comes from asus support page, chipsets-lan-audio etc,all of these have 2 alternative files
First one is called Asussetup.exe
Second one is called Setup.exe
Do you have it either and you just run Setup.exe?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Yes the drivers for my MB also have asussetup.exe and setup.exe included with them.
I always use setup.exe to install them and they all installed like they should.
I can't remember where I read to use setup.exe but it was most likely on the Asus ROG Forums.

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Yes the drivers for my MB also have asussetup.exe and setup.exe included with them.
I always use setup.exe to install them and they all installed like they should.
I can't remember where I read to use setup.exe but it was most likely on the Asus ROG Forums.
Ok thanks a lot for your help,very much appreciated :) So for every driver i just run only setup.exe without doubting if something is going to be wrong

Reactions: DMAN999

Emil_Meld

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2013
have nearly same motherboard b360 and when I ran some of the setups they wouldt go right, tried same thing over at my buddys, same motherboard again. Had to find the drivers elsewhere because asus clearly hasnt programmed them right. I believe it was intel drivers both times. Neither asussetup or regular setup worked. Find em on intels website in that case

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Asussetup.exe usually offers to install all other drivers in the downloaded set and setup.exe installs only drivers in that folder. Otherwise both work same way.
Which of these 2 setups would you choose?What is realy recommended?So you are saying that if i go with Asussetup.exe the installation progress may work better because it has more drivers to install,right?this is keeping me feel sick :p

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
For chipset drivers ones that can be acquired straight from AMD are always newer, I get them from there. https://www.amd.com/en/support
Same for AMD graphics drivers instead from GPU manufacturer. Sound drivers could be had from Microsoft.
Ok thanks for your reply! And if u want to update to a newer one version of the chipset driver,do u unistall the prervious one or u just download it from amd website and install it?

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
have nearly same motherboard b360 and when I ran some of the setups they wouldt go right, tried same thing over at my buddys, same motherboard again. Had to find the drivers elsewhere because asus clearly hasnt programmed them right. I believe it was intel drivers both times. Neither asussetup or regular setup worked. Find em on intels website in that case
I ll have it in mind too thanks :) So for Intel Lan i have to go to Intel's Website

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
No need to uninstall older drivers, it will do it for you if you choose clean installation and just update if not. I
Ok then,to be honest first time i installed my chipset driver it was directly from amd like you recommended,because there were other people saying the exact thing getting chipset drivers straight from amd.So if i go to amd's website now and install the newer version,it will not harm my pc right?

Ok then,to be honest first time i installed my chipset driver it was directly from amd like you recommended,because there were other people saying the exact thing getting chipset drivers straight from amd.So if i go to amd's website now and install the newer version,it will not harm my pc right?
Right. Chipset drivers are difficult to uninstall manually because they are not single driver but also for other parts like USB2, PCIe, SATA etc. all in one package.

Reactions: Energy-Ray

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
Right. Chipset drivers are difficult to uninstall manually because they are not single driver but also for other parts like USB2, PCIe, SATA etc. all in one package.
Here u can see different chipset drivers from amd ==> https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b350 if u select windows 10 64bit and scroll down u ll find my version which is 19.10.0429,but there are 4 more newer versions.do i have to install one by one version by version till i reach to the newer one? because asus says this ==> ''Update AMD chipset driver 19.10.xx first before update this driver 1.07.29.0115 ''.Can i go straight to amd and download version 1.07.29.0115 ?

Here u can see different chipset drivers from amd ==> https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b350 if u select windows 10 64bit and scroll down u ll find my version which is 19.10.0429,but there are 4 more newer versions.do i have to install one by one version by version till i reach to the newer one? because asus says this ==> ''Update AMD chipset driver 19.10.xx first before update this driver 1.07.29.0115 ''.Can i go straight to amd and download version 1.07.29.0115 ?
I would listen to Asus, you have nothing to loose except some tome. I never had to do that myself but I do keep them updated all the time.

Energy-Ray

Prominent
Oct 17, 2019
I will just run Setup.exe as an administrator on every single driver,reboot on each driver and i hope everything gonna be fine!i am just scared a little bit because its from asus...but ok

Reactions: DMAN999