AT&T Buys Verizon Spectrum For $1.9 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Wait we have a spectrum crunch how can Verizon possibly afford to lose this spectrum when their network is so over loaded and in needs of caps to manage it?

/sarcasm off

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Verizon's network is humming along nicely. I get service everywhere I go and their LTE service blows everyone else out of the water. If you use more than 2gb a month in bandwidth on your smartphone you deserve to pay more.[/citation]

don't fall into the people who use more data shoudl pay more... it is just a way to add fees adn overage costs to their bottom line. i am not on big red, i left them for altell and then to sprint when big red bought them out. I now am with sprint because unlimited data even on 3g is somethign i will support, even on 3g i usually run 10+ gigs a month.

it will be even easier for you to use your 2 gigs a month on 4g lte once these 1080p screens become more used, if your phone automates to use a good connection Assuming 16/9 aspect, 8 bit/channel/pixel, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling and 60 fps; an uncompressed 1020p stream should be 1492992000 b/s or just under 1.5 Gb/s.( ... 8 gigs for 100 min video so gratz by your 2 gig limit should somebody with a 1080p screen want to watch a true 1080p video on a x264 compression can watch 25 min before experienceing fees and charges unless they choose a lower format

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]it will be even easier for you to use your 2 gigs a month on 4g lte once these 1080p screens become more used, if your phone automates to use a good connection Assuming 16/9 aspect, 8 bit/channel/pixel, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling and 60 fps; an uncompressed 1020p stream should be 1492992000 b/s or just under 1.5 Gb/s.( ... 8 gigs for 100 min video so gratz by your 2 gig limit should somebody with a 1080p screen want to watch a true 1080p video on a x264 compression can watch 25 min before experienceing fees and charges unless they choose a lower format[/citation]

Good luck getting that 1.5Gb/s download speed even over LTE. Hell good luck getting that speed any time.

Even though the screen is 1080p, who the hell needs uncompressed video when they stream? Where are you streaming this uncompressed stream from? Use realistic workloads here come on. Not saying things like Netflix and Hulu wont use up your data, but you are extremely exaggerating and giving a 100% impossible scenario.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Verizon's network is humming along nicely. I get service everywhere I go and their LTE service blows everyone else out of the water. If you use more than 2gb a month in bandwidth on your smartphone you deserve to pay more.[/citation]
Unlimited 4G here, why exactly should I pay more if I make use of more than 2GB again? I pay for unlimited not unlimited until we decide you should pay more.

injected_metal

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Are you kidding me? 2 gb is crap, I'm stuck on Verizon and lost my unlimited when I got a new phone and the limit blows. I get good speed, but when I watch Netflix I go through around 100 mb for 10 minutes of video, I watched 2 episodes of Merlin and nearly 50% was already used up. They are just trying to nickel and dime us. I used to be able to buy a phone and renew my contact for 2 more years but now if I want to do that I have to pay a $30 upgrade fee too.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]Good luck getting that 1.5Gb/s download speed even over LTE. Hell good luck getting that speed any time. Even though the screen is 1080p, who the hell needs uncompressed video when they stream? Where are you streaming this uncompressed stream from? Use realistic workloads here come on. Not saying things like Netflix and Hulu wont use up your data, but you are extremely exaggerating and giving a 100% impossible scenario.[/citation]
He said a 100 minute video is 8GB, which translates to around 1.33MB/s (this is the x264 encoded video). I dont know why he talks about uncompressed 1080p though.

That said, 4g LTE at my house is 14 down and ~4 up. I can burn through my 4GB in a heartbeat. Or more specifically, around 45 minutes. Beyond that, its $10/2GB (or $10/1GB if I dont add data before I reach the cap). Which means youre paying ~$26/hour for internet usage. So a 1080p movie would cost you around $50. Seems pretty absurd, doesnt it?

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Good thing I still have my grandfathered unlimited data on Verizon. Depending on where I am, at home on 4g I get about 15mb down and 7mb up. When I was in georgia on vacation near Chattanooga,tn, I was getting 25mb down 10mb up. Granted there, even 3g was running about 4mb down 2mb up on my Droid Razr.

Status
Not open for further replies.