AT&T Globalyst 380TPC Win 95(installed new 4gigHD)

"error in Config.sys file on Line 5"
line 5 reads<DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.Sys/D:CDIDE001>
what should it read?

"whozat" <whozat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "error in Config.sys file on Line 5"
> line 5 reads<DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.Sys/D:CDIDE001>
> what should it read?

you could use a space between .sys and the /D. Also the bracketing should
not be there:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.Sys /D:CDIDE001

sorry Kay, the brackets were mine, not in the path. Adding space between.sys
and /D didn't help.
I can only get Win 95 open in the Safe mode.
In normal mode I get the following errors:
VCAS[DLL] error
VCOS Hardware
veInit error
1. Incorrct VE.DLL in path: insure RR OEM is in path
2. Run vetest.exe to verify hardware. I know I can't verify hardware in Safe
mode but I don't know how to right a DOS command to run that test.

The other message is error in config.sys file on line 5
line 5 presently reads Devicehigh=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.SYS \D:CDIDE001.
Any input would be appreciated.
Bill

"Kay Archer" wrote:

> "whozat" <whozat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "error in Config.sys file on Line 5"
> > line 5 reads<DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.Sys/D:CDIDE001>
> > what should it read?
>
> you could use a space between .sys and the /D. Also the bracketing should
> not be there:
>
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.Sys /D:CDIDE001

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Looks like you may have inadvertently changed the forward slash to a
backward slash. I know that only solves your Config.sys error.
ps. this looks like a CD-ROM driver. Do you really need it? Maybe you
could type a REM in front of the line (at least temporarily) and then go on
to your other errors.
Question, do you know how to restore the registry in Win95? That could
solve it if your system.da0 is good!

--
Jerry

Why didn't you try my suggestions in your earlier thread about this? Remove or
Remark out the lines I suggested, in your autoexec.bat and config.sys file, that
refer to the now non-existent Roadrunner sound card. See here for the references in
those files that you would need to remove or remark out:
http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/tech/hardware/sound/attroad.html

To remove them, simply delete the lines in those files after opening the files with
Notepad or Sysedit (Start>Run>Sysedit).
To remark them out (safer), put the word REM followed by a space, at the beginning
of each line you want to remark out. REM'ing a line causes it to not be read during
startup.

Be sure to save the changes when closing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, when
you are done.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> sorry Kay, the brackets were mine, not in the path. Adding space between.sys
> and /D didn't help.
> I can only get Win 95 open in the Safe mode.
> In normal mode I get the following errors:
> VCAS[DLL] error
> VCOS Hardware
> veInit error
> 1. Incorrct VE.DLL in path: insure RR OEM is in path
> 2. Run vetest.exe to verify hardware. I know I can't verify hardware in Safe
> mode but I don't know how to right a DOS command to run that test.
>
> The other message is error in config.sys file on line 5
> line 5 presently reads Devicehigh=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.SYS \D:CDIDE001.
> Any input would be appreciated.
> Bill
>
> "Kay Archer" wrote:
>

> > "whozat" <whozat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > "error in Config.sys file on Line 5"
> > > line 5 reads<DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.Sys/D:CDIDE001>
> > > what should it read?
> >
> > you could use a space between .sys and the /D. Also the bracketing should
> > not be there:
> >
> > DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\ATAPI_CD.Sys /D:CDIDE001

Well Glen,There are several reasons but they would just sound like excuses.
The main reason is probably my actual age and lack of experience which you
no doubt noted in my earlier posts so I decided to back off for a bit.
Perhaps I'll take another look this weekend using your last post and hope I
don't have another elderly experience.
bill