AT&T Will Test 5G Networks, Expand Fiber, And More In 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_124

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2017
"The restriction is worrisome, however, in that it effectively gives DirecTV Now an edge over competing video services for as long as these 5G network trials are running."

From a supply/investment perspective this is exactly the type of incentive that encourages companies to invest the 10's of billions of dollars needed to deploy these new services. As long as their is competition (which there is in wireless connectivity) there is no lock out effect form the consumer. This is a guess on my part, but I would assume 99% of mobile plans have >20GB of monthly data usage. Right now video streaming isn't viable with 4G networks for the masses - the bandwidth simply isn't there. To suggest that a company finding a way to deploy a new network that could provide a service that is currently unavailable as "troubling" takes a myopic view to the entire ecosystem (i.e supplier incentives and consumer choice). We need to respect a balance between ensuring quality access on the consumer side and encouraging investment on the supply side.

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
More BS from AT&T. They will use their usual tactics claiming that fiber that just passes by somewhere is "connected" when there is no actual connection. They'll take our money through the government and run then raise their prices..again.

jsut71

Honorable
Sep 6, 2015
F*** Austin!!!!! Why is San Antonio always the bastard step child when it comes to technology. I'm tired of TWC and their monopoly on higher bandwidth in this city.

Status
Not open for further replies.