At Wit's End with Ryzen TR build - boot loop/memory codes

amoline

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
I'm at the end of my rope with this build -- getting ready to completely give up.

I'm on my third motherboard, this time from asus. I had an MSI board that worked fine and then utterly died on me, and a gigabyte board that arrived with strange issues and I found broken pieces in the shipping box, so that was returned.

I'm on an asus x399 prime-a board now, and I had everything working just fine with one stick of ram until I tried to install the rest, and now I get mixes of error codes relating to memory as well as boot loops. Even going back to one stick causes the same issue.

I have reseated the CPU, tried one stick of ram in all slots (with different errors/problems), tried different ram altogether with the same result. Some slots give me a D5 error code hang, three motherboard speaker beeps, and an endless boot loop. Some slots give me faster boot loops with no time for error codes.

I have installed plastic standoffs on the motherboard. There is nothing caught between the case and board. I have done a PSU paper clip test and it is fine. I have also tried a different PSU.

When things were actually working, I thought the memory only working without one slot and anymore forcing boot loops might be a bios issue because I noticed my motherboard had a very early bios on it. I updated to the new one successfully but it did not help. As I stated the issues only began (aside from only being able to use one stick) once the RAM changed.

Literally every part except the CPU and graphics card has been replaced on this machine by now - and I still can't get anything working. I thought it would be extremely unlikely that a CPU is bad but with the random issues I seem to be getting I almost thing it may be worth it to see if I can replace that too.

I have also worked through the sticky of information -- this Is how I did things like the plastic standoffs for the board. I've just never had this many issues with a machine before and this computer was supposed to be a gift, so this is extremely disheartening. I apologize if that frustration is coming through in this post. Trying to build and fix this has made me feel extremely stupid. I appreciate everyone's help. I'm glad to provide more information

Overall specs:

AMD Ryzen 1920x TR
ASUS x399 Prime-a (previously MSI and gigabyte)
Fractal design Celsius S36
G.Skill 4x16gb 3200mhz ram (also tried with Corsair vengeance 2400mhz to test)
MSI GTX 1080 "Duke"
EVGA G3 850w PSU
Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD
Corsair 750d

Ram slot errors: trying one stick of ram (from left to right on mobo)

Slot 1: startup, error code D1 changed to Ad - 3 speaker beeps. Hangs.

Slot 2: startup, quick automatic shutdown, no beeps, looks like it kills itself on error code "8" - endless boot loop.

Slot 3: Same as slot 1

Slot 4: same as slot 2

Slot 5: (First slot to the right of CPU) startup, error code D5 - no speaker beeps, hangs.

Slot 6: startup, error code D0, 3 speaker beeps, hangs.

Slot 7: same as slot 5

Slot 8: same as slot 6.

amoline

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Thanks for the info -- I knew the 6th slot was the recommended for one stick of RAM, but per Asus's troubleshooting suggestions, I didn't know that meant that's the code that I should "listen to."

Anyway, the CPU has been sent for RMA and I have its replacement, which I'll be trying very soon. Here's to hoping.

amoline

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
No joy with the new CPU I'm afraid. I get a three beep code, a "d0" error code, which then changes to Ad error code on the motherboard, and then nothing happens. Same error codes/boot loops as before.

Really not sure what to do anymore. Do I try and get a fourth motherboard? What are the chances of that?

amoline

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
A new motherboard came in today, and I get the same error codes on the new motherboard with a new CPU with two different types of memory - put one stick in the suggested slot for one stick, and I get a "D0" code,(CPU initialization error) followed by three speaker beeps, followed by the error "Ad" (ready to boot event) and then just sits there.

I genuinely don't know what could be the problem at this point. I really don't know what to try. The only thing that hasn't been replaced or tried new is the SSD and the GPU.

amoline

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
I feel as if because it was working previously that I did not install it incorrectly - I also feel that as I have reseated it at least 8 times throughout this entire build I've had significant practice.

However, I will attempt a reseat later. I would attempt a voodoo ritual at this stage.

amoline

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Did the CPU reseat, cleaned everything as directed and followed the video just to be doubly sure.

Replaced the CPU in its socket, screwed everything back in, and now I get absolutely nothing. I get a power LED and decorative LEDs on the motherboard, but pushing the power button on the motherboard or case results in no response - no fans, no beep codes.

Two steps backward from only CPU reseat it seems. :-(

amoline

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017

Unfortunately it doesn't seem so - and reconnecting the cables doesn't change anything - still no beeps, no fans.

Dang. I can't believe I can't get this thing to work.

I appreciate the help and suggestions so far. Maybe this build just wasn't meant to be