ATA/100 problem

G

I recently bought an Iwill KK266 motherboard and installed a new Quantum ata/100(master) and my old WD ata/66(slave) on the primary IDE channel. When I first benchmarked the Quantum using Sandra, I got the expected 20,000+ score. A few days later I re-benched it and found it to be running at ata/33 speeds. DMA is checked on both drives. Could there be a problem with the motherboard or maybe with the IDE cable? Are there any other settings in Win98 that would affect the data rate of the hard drive?

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Furst off, I think Win98 may have preceeded ata100, so make sure you have all the MS updates (search their Win98 knowledge base). Secondly, download the latest Via 4 in 1 driver set.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
most likely the cable. Is there a utility for controlling which mode of transfer you are using with your motherboard? I would suggest removing the ata/66 drive temporarily and test without it and see what happens.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

I finally determined that it was CPUIdle which was causing the problem. Once I stopped it from running in the background, the speeds returned to normal.