Atari Reveals Upcoming Ataribox Console's Design

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
I agree with OZ_1__1965 100%. If it's loaded with games for just the Atari 2600, I wouldn't even give it a second look. Personally, I start feeling nostalgic for console from the Classic NES onward. Anything before that wouldn't hold my interest.

Spazzy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Atari, wow, that's going back a ways. Let's hope it doesn't come with creaky single button Joysticks like the 2600. lol I, for one, am going to keep an eye on this. The 2600 was my first gaming console. I actually got a job in a video arcade in my early teens, so I could buy games for it (and play arcade games for free ;). I'll likely buy one just for old times sake.

PGFan1

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
I would be interested in this more if it included the library from all Atari systems, including the 2600, the 5200, the 7800, the Jaguar, and the Lynx. Given the ROMs were incredibly small back in the day, most every game could fit onto a single SD card. The processing speed would not need to be much at all for the old 6502-based games, and a mobile phone chip is more than enough to handle the emulation of the Jaguar and JaguarCD graphics. Not sure why the talk of high-end processors here. The original processors were 8-bit in the single MHz range. Even the Jaguar used a 16-bit 68000 and a pseudo-32-bit graphics processor (note, I was one of the few that owned it and the Jaguar CD to play Tempest, AvP, and Iron Soldier CD).

It seems pretty unlikely that they are aiming to be a competitor to the big consoles. More likely, this will be something with comparable processing power to a smartphone, designed to run ports of Android games along with games from their 80's-era consoles.

And of course, Nintendo already is a third option. If you strictly mean a third option that will run most of the same games as an Xbox or Playstation, then PCs can be considered the third option, and have free online multiplayer as well. I don't really see what advantage there would be to having another big console that runs mostly the same games as the others. It's already been shown in the past that there isn't really enough room for more big consoles in the market. That's why Atari quit making consoles, as did Sega and a number of others. Atari isn't going to release a console unless they think they can fill a niche, and they aren't going to enter the market with an expensive device.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
If this is a generic Android TV box with a decent GPU, I'd buy it.

I have no interest in any legacy Atari games, but I could use an Android TV box and it's definitely got a distinctive look. Plus, its GPU will hopefully be much better than that of the average Android TV device.

cirdecus

Distinguished
I'm always supportive of new consoles trying to enter the market. I like that there's innovation and change. Releasing an Ataribox that essentially plays every old Atari game through Jaguar would be appealing, but wouldn't be more than a $100 product and surely not a next gen console.

It's very difficult to launch a new next gen console and get the right software on your platform regardless of hardware. Hardware of course is another problem. It takes a lot of money, time and great partnerships to make powerful hardware that doesn't cost $1000.

I'm rooting for anyone who can give Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft good competition. Competition is great for gamers.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Then look to China. Their domestic market, alone, is big enough to justify the investment. For the reasons you cited, I don't see anyone else getting into that race.

Plus, they could even source the GPU from Vivante.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
The nostalgia wears off very quickly when it comes to the Atari, as the games don;t just look dated now, they look awful. I had one of those mini Atari's with 20 games a few years back, it was fun for probably less than a hour. The only game I actually bothered to complete was Adventure.
Now if they released a Retro+ console with retro remakes of all the old classics with better gfx and sound etc, then that would be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.