Atheros AR9285 Driver Issues & No Wireless

ShiningLegend

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hello,

For quite some time I have had issues on my netbook due to a nonfunctional Atheros adapter (at least, I think that's the problem). I have attempted to uninstall and re-install the Atheros adapter multiple times yet with no effects (http://www.sendspace.com/file/yjo4ig). I am constantly cabling my netbook for a connection, which is annoying. If you could offer help it would be greatly appreciated!

Hello,

I've had major issues with a similar Atheros Chipset. The official drivers somehow borked the wireless card on my old laptop - and I had to find "unoffical" drivers that actually worked unlike the Atheros drivers. Actually I think I had the exact same chipset.

I'm guessing either your wifi card is faulty - or somehow the wireless drivers are actually not working correctly.

Read the following forum in this link:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/17385-MODDED-ATHEROS-DRIVERS-TO-ENABLE-ALL-KNOWN-SETTINGS-8-0-279-x86-amp-x64-IMPROVES-PERFOR

Heres the link to the modified driver:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2zgmmuyj4zw

Note 1: I checked both sites and they appear to be fine.

Note 2: Since it's an unofficial driver - you might have to tell windows to let it install anyways as it might give you a warning about not being signed.

Let us know how it goes!

One more thing - when my wifi card got borked - it would constantly try to connect to a network then disconnect 1-2 seconds after it connected.

After using the modified driver I never had an issue again, either disconnecting or dropping or driver crashing.

LuggyBear

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
I had this problem with a Lenovo C200 all in one desktop machine.

It would find wireless networks, including my own home one, connect but with no Internet access & no network access.
There was always an exclamation remark over the wireless connection indicating no Internet access.

It was very frustrating as I tried everything, router changes, static IP, etc…

What solved the issue was a driver upgrade on the wireless card in the machine.

The wireless card was an Atheros AR9285 with a driver version 8.0.0.xx

I got the latest version for use with Win 7 Ultimate 32bit here

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=5

Download version 10.0.0.45 for use with Win 7 Ultimate 32bit on a different PC & copied to USB flash drive.

Once driver upgraded with new version practically instantly resolved, Internet & network access, bang, straight in.

Hope this helps anyone else having this crappy problem.

Franz Baher

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Restart laptop/ Press F10 to enter Setup. Go to System Configuration. Select Boot Options and enable Internal Network. Adapter Boot. Exit and save. That will do it. Your system disabled the adapter, so you are just enabling it. It happens mostly in Laptops to save energy. Go figure.

spencerpa

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Uninstall the driver through Device manager.

The default driver which it will install if you were to choose "scan for new hardware" is located by right clicking the Unknown Device - Update Driver - Browse my computer. Go to the location which the device manager is pointing to and delete the folder (unless it is pointing to a system folder).

Also delete any folder associated to the driver from within Program Files.

Next download the recommended driver directly from the laptop, manufacturer’s website & install it. If you have the latest driver as a .sys file, go into device manager & browse to the location then click next.

After all this it might be worth restarting.

nick0170

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I've struggled this problem for over a year. The Atheros AR9285 driver is a maze to figure out. I believe this is a Windows 7 compatibility issue with the 9.2.x version driver, and I've heard reports of some people finding luck in rolling back to 8.0.x versions. While this option may be available, I realized that there is now a new version: 10.0.0.221. If you go to your Device Manager and find your wireless driver labeled Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter, check the version by viewing properties.

You can find the new version I now use here: http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=5.

I proceeded to manually install this driver from the folder I extracted from the .zip file included in the download. Upon installing this new version, I noticed that my Device Manager now displayed Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter. The version indicated in the adapter properties was now the new 10.0.0.221 and I no longer have issues with dropping and unable to connect to wireless networks. I hope by writing this that I can help others with the same problem as me!

If the above solution doesn't work for you, you may want to try my Plan B: Replacing the WLAN card. I believe I've heard situations where people replace an Atheros adapter with an Intel Centrino adapter, but I have not looked much further than this. Your local (or trusted) technician should be able to help.

dtbaker61

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

...this sounds like exactly the problem I started having when I allowed a new laptop to do a Windows Update. After that, wireless driver reports 'a problem' and I can't connect wireless! I have downloaded the .221 driver, deleted the old driver via device manager, told it to load from the un-zipped directory; still doesn't work though ;(

lseay29

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I too am now having this issue within the last week with a HP laptop G60. I assumed a Windows uppdate caused it so I retored to a prevoius point before the last three critical updates, two weeks prevoius, with no success. Updated driver to latest Micosoft verified version of 10.0.0.67 and then 10.0.0.221 with the same results. Enabled the adapter in BIOS and it still refuses to connect. Authorized MAC address in wireless router with same results. Aother HP laptop G62 connects with no problems so wireless router should not be the issue.

Jul 18, 2013
nick0170's solution worked just dandy for me. My wireless adapter either self "disconnected" from my wifi signal or the device itself completely disconnected. It's an Atheros AR9285 in an ASUS EEE PC Seashell Netbook.

Dandelian

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I have this issue from the last week and by now i could survive with this problem but i wanted to download and game (Doesn't matter it's name) and the speed was soo slow (I wanted to download from my modem and was too slow but my wireless was faster:D) and i tried downloading from my notebook manufacter but it didn't work:( and i searched on atheros
wireless driver not working and i found this forum and tried downloading the latest version it worked!Well at least for me and other people
o and my computer is emachines E725 if it could help anybody.

bcd11

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
A thousand "THANKS" for suggesting the new 10.x driver!!!
I downloaded and installed the new driver. The wireless connection is MANY times faster and it has not dropped once.
Again, THANK YOU!

wilic

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
How do I manually install the driver? Sorry but I'm a noob at this :(

vkkhamul

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Extract the downloaded .zip.

Go to Device Manager and open the properties of the Wireless Network Adapter.

Click on Update Driver and it should give you the option to browse your computer for the driver. Select the folder where you extracted .zip, and it should install the driver for you.

bshipman

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013

My problem may have been a bit different - my AR9285 adapter just stopped working one day, and I got error code 43 in the device manager ("Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems."). All I had to do to fix it was disable the device in device manager and re-enable it.

(Description: I went to Device Manager in the Control panel, but in Windows 7 you can just enter "device manager" in the Start Menu search bar to find it. In Device Manager I opened "Network adapters", then right-clicked on the Atheros AR9285 item and chose "Disable", then right-clicked again and chose "Enable".)

In my case, I didn't need to re-install the driver or even reboot, though the other solutions might have worked too.

SaM1321

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
thanks to at1234 and dtbaker61

i figure out that my atheros version is v9. ive just tried to update in v10 and it works fine and my connection did not break again.

justinsamjoseph

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

I was facing this same exact issue over the past few months. And the good news?? I've got it resolved.
My rig is an Asus N53J which I purchased way back in 2012. It quite works for me with 4gigs of RAM, Nvidia GT425M 2GB and runs on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
I tried updating the Atheros AR9285 driver via the Windows Update as well as using other modded drivers with no success. The Wi-Fi gets connected and stays for about 2 minutes before it gets disconnected and then I have to troubleshoot it which seems to work only 1 in 5 times.

Okay so here's the fix. I straight away took it a local technician after my repeated attempts to fix it..I think it's after the realization that I was no geek like I thought I was:no::no::no:. Anyways the technician said it was an issue that most computers with Nvidia chips faced due to overheating. In my case this was very much true. While playing games or doing something graphic intensive my laptop's heat vent generates so much heat that sometimes it's enough to boil an egg! :pt1cable:So all he did was disassemble my laptop and performed a "General Service" which was basically cleaning top down especially the fan because overtime lots of dust tend to accumulate on the blades.
And tada! That was it! It's been almost 2 months now and not once have I faced my Wi-Fi dropping or any such issues.

Now when I think of it I feel I should have done it earlier rather than waste all my time re-installing windows, installing countless number of drivers and I reached a point of desperation where I removed Windows and installed Ubuntu!:pfff:
For all of you who face this issue just follow this. Trust me it's gonna save you a lot of time and it just cost me around 25US$ and I got my DVD drive fixed along with this.

I hope this fix works for all. Have a great day!

FazedCraze

Reputable
Oct 26, 2014
Hi guys, the only thing I have done to fix this was to go in:
-Device Manager
-Clicked on Network Adapters,
-Clicked on my Qualcomm Atheros Wifi Adapter
-Click on Power Management tab
-Uncheck: Allow the computer to turn off this device to safe power.

That's how I fix it.
Hope I helped :)

rene707

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Minutes after installing Windows 7 updates for x64-systems (those published Dec 9 2014) my wireless was lost, no longer showing any available networks.
Hardware switch to toggle WLAN was no longer able to switch it on.
No error messages at all, driver 9.x of 2011 was active and the hardware entry was indicated to be functioning correctly.
Then I reverted Windows to the configuration before the updates, to no avail however.

Then - thanks to earlier poster at1234 - I downloaded and installed driver 10.0.0.297 and everything worked fine right away.
See https://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=5

Have not yet reinstalled the x64 updates.
System: Asus N71V, Win 7 Home Premium 64.