Question ATHLON 200GE or 2200g for light multi tasking and serial tabber

Jun 17, 2019
Hey there folks New First time member of Tom's Hardware here! Anyway i am still using a 10+ year old Lenovo ThinkCentre M91p with i5 2500 4gb 1333 500gb sata 3.00 main drive with NO Gpu, i am sick of it and am going to smash the crap out of it with my baseball bat once this build is ready. (100% srz no laughs here).

So I initially intended to wait till the next month or so, but a local retailer has a promo thats unbeatable for the 2 cpu's only. I am having trouble on deciding if i should just get the el cheapo Athlon 200GE, get the cheapest 4gb x 2 generic ram kit or if i should get the 2200g and just get a real 16gb set kit which won't need an upgrade later. I intend to use this build to play a little resident evil 2 on 720 lowest settings and light multi tasking along with daily spamming of tabs in chrome.I am also finding myself hard pressed to take the 2200g over the 200ge because it's almost twice the price in difference ($66 AUD or $45 US) i likely wont play any other games either and for the month or so i will have it i doubt i will need the extra grunt. However after seeing how much faster/better the 2200g is despite the price i am more leaning toward not upgrading next month and getting a 8gb x2 kit and it should last me just as long as this excuse for a computer did.. The other issue i have is that i was intending to keep the 200ge as a guest/secondary computer when the next gen comes out and i fully upgrade. Thanks all and sorry if it was abit a bit of a long question/thread!

Jun 17, 2019
Also if we are simply talking cpu vs cpu nothing else is the 2200g worth the extra $66 or $45 for you guys over the 200g to you all? I have done my research but was just left confuserd as i am 10+ years out dated!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I will be as straight forward as I can in regards to the 200ge. It's good for light surfing and super low expectation productivity. Beyond that, it is a workable and super cool (temp) integrated graphics solution for making an AM4 motherboard turn on. I had one in use for nothing more than a file server and Plex. It lasted less than 3 weeks before I removed it and replaced with a 1200 and GTX750ti. It did everything, and nothing well. Don't waste your time and money believing the crap YouTube videos stating it will game. Only if you are happy with lots of lag, and lots of dropped frames.

Step up to the Ryzen 3, and honestly for your use would bite the bullet and go on past that to the Ryzen 5. Cut corners elsewhere for the time being and upgrade stuff like RAM, etc later. You will thank yourself when you haven't wasted the $45.

The ryzen 3 is the minimum id suggest for any multitasking or gaming. While the 200ge can do this, the 4 real cores and improved gpu of the 2200g will be a great improvement well worth the extra money.

A ryzen 3 2200g or ryzen 5 2400g would be much better suited to your needs.
Dont cut corners with ram. Dual channel 3000mhz at least. (2666 if 200ge).