Athlon 4 benchmarks... AMD shure Whops Intels Ass!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
And why can't you admit that the P4 still can't do more than hold its own against the T-bird? Not to mention which, the P4 1.7GHz and the T-bird 1.33GHz have about the same power consumption and heat dissipation.

Oh, and the P4's clock-throttling "feature?" We still don't know for certain where it comes from. It's confirmed to exist in some configurations by our local Raystonn--primarily where all Intel hardware is used. Whoops...

The Athlon4 consumes even less power and gets more work done than either of the two--at a fraction of the P4's cost. Not bad for a "POS burnt offering."

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>The Athlon4 consumes even less power and gets more work done than either of the two-at a fraction of the P4's cost. Not bad for a "POS burnt offering"

the tbird POS burnt offering is entirely different from the yet unreleased desktop ver of the Athlon4 , don't confuse the two.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
And what of the fact that the P4 and T-bird actually have similar power consumption characteristics? Or that Intel still hasn't worked out all the kinks in its own P4 thermal protection?

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>And what of the fact that the P4 and T-bird actually.......

and what of it? this was a major exaggeration/hoax/fud on Inquest.com's part and has been <A HREF="http://www.aceshardware.com/cgi-bin/ace/tech.pl" target="_new">debunked </A>many times.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The power dissipation similarities are confirmed by AMD and Intel specs. The P4 1.7GHz is specced to draw ~64W of power (that's all Intel lists--expect it to only consider a best-case scenario). The T-bird 1.33GHz is specced to draw ~61-72W of power (AMD is actually specific enough to list both extremes).

As for the clock throttling, it happens with some configurations. It may not happen with all motherboards, or all P4's; right now it looks like a motherboard problem. But it happens in some configurations. Raystonn has confirmed it.

Oh, and after berating AMD for VIA-related problems, Intel fanatics are hardly in any position to say, "But it's the motherboard's fault, not the P4's!" Especially since guess what--the Intel-manufactured motherboard is the one we <i>know</i> has the clock-throttling problem!

Next time you post a "debunking" link, have it link to a specific post, or a specific article, of sufficient credibility. Searching through a collection of posts on various subjects just wastes everyone's time.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
To No-one in particular:

Do you think it would be kinda ironic, the Intel exec and AMD exec sitting on a beach in the Bahamas with their wireless MAC laptop (or iPAQ or whatever), looking at this and other threads of AMD v.s. Intel, Intel v.s. AMD whilst they draft out the next 6 months of pricing structure to milk the most cash from the consumer PC market reagrdless of the technology? They must be laughing their heads off at this lot.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

this site is a spec of sand on a beach

i dont think they care about this site, maybe the reviews yes but the forum.. i dont think so..

If they do, thats pathetic and i pity them.

I wouldnt be surprised if AMD and Intel were the same company

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

G

"So i mean.. the only real benefits a faster cpu will have is in gaming.... and high end stuff like encoding, decoding, etc.."

Dont you ever herd that P4 is exactly the cpu that you mention in that post!!!!!!

Like you said : Benchmark is the only way you can base yourself, and P4 have win all the benchmark that you have stated( by a LOT!!):eek:)

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Actually, it's half-and-half for games. The P4 pulls ahead in Q3, the T-bird pulls ahead in UT.

As for encoding/decoding...DivX encoding goes to the P4, but mp3 encoding tends to go to the T-bird.

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

G

u dumbass

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
In gaming you are not limited by your cpu...

Quake3 runs awesome on a p4 @ 640x480 beats the tbird hands down

But lets' bump the res to where you will be playing it at look the tbird is head by a fraction of a frame. Not that it matters if you average 50 FPS do you really need more?

Don't be stupid and say the pentium4 is a must for a gamer...hah more like get a 900Mhz and the best video card you can get...that is for a gamer.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

G

thats a good point...

Who plays quake 3 in 640x40 anyways?
and 50fps is fine i mean anymore i dont think u can notice it..

G

Trust me you notice frame rate bottoms out at 20 youll notice. Like my card does thats why i get sloppy when i kill you, at times.

SPUDMUFFIN

<font color=red>Being Evil Is Good. Cause I Can Be A Prick And Get Away With It.</font color=red> :lol:

G

I remember how all the Intel droids talked about how the Willamette was going to destroy the Athlon when it came out. It obviously fell far short. Now the Northwood is the next great savior. Problem is, it's nothing more than a die shrink with more cache. There are three reasons why. First, unless Intel had two revisions of the P4 when the Willamette came out (the hacked version (Willamette) and the unhacked version (Northwood)) there simply has not been enough time for Intel to go back to the drawing board and completely revamp the P4. Seeing as how first silicon most definitely has already been produced for Northwood’s Q3 appearance, Intel would have had only a few months to tack on all the things they omitted on the Willamette. No way, Jose! The second reason is die size. Even a Willamette with a .13 shrink is still a big core. Now tack on more cache, a bigger FPU and all the other goodies you Intel droids are praying for and Intel's got itself a huge core again which costs Intel a lot of money to make. The third reason is AMD's perception of how much of a threat the Northwood is. Based on the fact that AMD pushed back the Clawhammer release by six months so they could start Hammer production with SOI indicates how well they feel the Athlon will continue to compete with P4. So don't get too optimistic Intel kiddies, you're bound to be disappointed.

G

------------------------------------------------------------

When the true Pentium 4, the .13 micron Northwood, comes out

------------------------------------------------------------

I think this statement is funny as hell. Will the real P4 please step forward......hehehehehehe. I don't know why these people think Northwood is going to be so radically different than Willamette. It's essentially nothing more than a die shrink.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what are you using that drops below 20fps there Spud?

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

kavbear

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Who the hell cares what Weird Al is singing about. Go somewhere else if you can't make an intelligent remark and have something credible to contribute...OMG.
There should be some sort of IQ AND MATURITY check when registering for these forums!

No man stands so tall, as when he stoops to tweak his rig.

G

thats true

i remember all the propeganda... Willamette is going to be sooo fast and soooo coool its going to kill AMD once and for all...

*cough

G

Will the real P4 please stand up, please stand up?! LOL! :)

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
"Medics, I need some attention, please!"

"Will the real P4 please give up?"

"I surrender!"

"The real P4 just gave up."

Anyone who has seen the lockwave animation can probably relate to that. :wink: It's at lockwave.com (but you have to register there) or at campchaos.com (no registration required). I'll see if I can dig up the link...

Kelledin

bash-2.04$ kill -9 1

G

to the bloody top!

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I actually agree with you on your reservation of Northwood, but I just don't get all excited about the benchmark of a new offering, knowing newer offerings will always be a few months away. So why all the big talk? By the way, I am rooting for AMD to do well because healthy competition helps everybody, especially us the consumers.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

leonov

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually the Northwood is more than just a die shrink with more L2 cache. It is also expected to have more functional units, an on-die memory controller (don't underestimate how significant this is) and make use of a large L3 cache.

With the resources that Intel has it is highly possible to have two teams working on different implementations of the P4 architecture.

L