[SOLVED] Athlon A10 7850k - Better to use Onboard Graphics, or with GT1030 Graphics Card>>>

Jan 9, 2021
Hey guys

Need some help please...

I'm upgrading some old PC's in our office, and I have a PC here around 4-5 year old, running GREAT. It's an Athlon A10 7850k, currently used with onboard graphics (HDMI).

Now, when the upgrade is complete I will have a GT1030 graphics card left over with no use/home.

So, would we see much performance increase if I installed that GT1030 card into the Athlon A10 PC and used that for graphics rather than the onboard graphics?

Can you disable the onboard graphics in bios so that 'space' can be used for extra CPU power? Or does it make no difference to the A10 performance whether you are using the onboard graphics or not?

Any help most welcome!!!

Solution
Yes, the card is:

ASUS GeForce® GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 low profile graphics card

So this should be more powerful than the A10 onboard graphics, so worth a try!

I'm guessing (!!!) that the 2GB VRAM on the card is considerably more than the A10 GPU would have?

Yeah, the GDDR5 version of the GT 1030 performs similar to the Vega integrated graphics found in the 2200G or 2400G APUs which are considerably better than the A10 7850k's integrated graphics.

VRAM amount might be about the same, AMD integrated graphics can take up to 2GB of system memory to use as VRAM. Of course having the dedicated card means you get more system RAM in GPU heavy scenarios as the integrated GPU doesn't have to take some from the system RAM pool.
Jan 9, 2021
That PC is actually used for 1080p video editing (Premier Pro, After Effects etc), and does a GREAT job!!!

The GT1030 graphics card will literally be thrown away or at least thrown into storage, so it's zero cost.

So, as it is free, I wondered if it would be of benefit to put it into this PC?

Assuming you have the GDDR5 version of the GT 1030, it would be more powerful than the A10's integrated GPU. If it's the DDR4 version of the card, which is only half as fast there may not be as much of a difference, but if your applications don't support OpenCL but do have CUDA acceleration it might still be helpful. If you already have it, just try it and see if it works well for you.

Jan 9, 2021
Yes, the card is:

I'm guessing (!!!) that the 2GB VRAM on the card is considerably more than the A10 GPU would have?

Yes, the card is:

Yeah, the GDDR5 version of the GT 1030 performs similar to the Vega integrated graphics found in the 2200G or 2400G APUs which are considerably better than the A10 7850k's integrated graphics.

VRAM amount might be about the same, AMD integrated graphics can take up to 2GB of system memory to use as VRAM. Of course having the dedicated card means you get more system RAM in GPU heavy scenarios as the integrated GPU doesn't have to take some from the system RAM pool.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS