Athlon II X2 for gaming??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

I do not have a 5200. But if it could overclock that high on stock volts as he claims it does(which I dont believe) and the temps where good with the crappy stock cooler then yes I would use said crappy cooler.

On that note my current c2d machine is overclocked almost 50 percent on stock volts and stock crappy cooler. The 620 will do 3ghz no problems correct.

I actually have a big aftermarket expensive cooler sitting my closet collecting dust. Stock volts+stock cooler has gave me a easy 2.13 to 2.99ghz overclock. 24/7 in a room with no AC.

Do I believe that the 5200 will do 4ghz on stock volts? Nope not at all.

My entire was point was rather simple. You do not need to go out and get a aftermarket cooler for a c2d cpu overclocked on stock volts. You would be a fool if you do.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
@jennyh

Who said it was?

@someguy7

I got some links that might surprise you. I did find few online that did 4 ghz. The new stepping is right around the corner for me. Here you go...

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/help-oc-e5200-ep45ud3r-32783/
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=319417
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03DhDTVCPc8

Oh, I'm terribly sorry, it wasn't 1.24v, it was 1.275v. That's basically stock... I actually did find one @ stock voltage a while back, but it's gone now since there are so many 4ghz RO stepping chips around... Have at it... It's still quite impresive. I can't wait to get mine to see what it can do.

SBFHawk1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

I guess I did not mention to you that I overclocked my 250 II 45Nm chipped Athlon to 3.8 MHZ using AMDs overclock then..And that some Pro testers out there are getting 4.0MHZ of course on proper cooling equipment right? So whats your point? Mine was done on just cooling Pipes ;)

Sounds like you are just a Hater..Who cares about your E5200 this whole discussion board is about the 250II Not Intels E5200..

I think you and the e5200 should go get married and have many E chips intel babies....hahahhahahaaa...

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
@Jennyh

You know what? Show me at least a 2 hour prime 95 stable with a screenshot of cpuz at the voltage. I'd love to see that...

@SBFHawk1

The review couldn't even get past 3.8... If the e5200 is better, then your the hater obviously.

SBFHawk1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

I will get that latest I did when I kept it mild at 3.4 MHz and then I will go and do a bit higher for you nasayers out there. MInd you this is on stock cooling equipment..Just air cooled fans..Shoot just for fun I will ram air into the top just for the purpose of the test..I will use AMD overclocking software since I am a newbie with this..so the only thing I have is the cooling pipes from the mobo..

Mind you I am running the GP790GX-UD4H mobo so its pretty thick in cooper so that helps with cooling..So give me a bit of time I have to go home after work and let it do its thing..

I bought a $15 thermaltake cooler for my $70 E5300 (2.6 stock), and I can OC to
3.0GHz while keeping it around 32'C/45'C, and 3.4ish GHz while keeping it 34'C/50'C

I can probably get to 4.0GHz if I tried but I haven't bothered to yet...the temperatures would probably be around 38'C idle and 60'C load probably...

Both the E5x00 and the AthlonIIs are great chips...get the Athlon if you're building a new rig since the 775 won't be supported anymore.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

Obviously I'm biased with my purchase? Are you telling me the $110 CAD 3.8GHZ quad-core prime-stable makes me biased? Really?

'Nearly equal overclockability' means it OCs near to similar speeds, and performs similarly clock-for-clock.

AMD and Intel care about the die sizes. It's why AMD can ship a chip that costs them less to make, and charge more than what Intel can for there's.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
@smithereen

I would rather go with the proven RO 4.0+ ghz e5200 over your "I could get a quad out of this... not guaranteed" Phenom II X2 and not to do more than 3.8 at it's best. Especially when there's 4.16 ghz chips out there doing that under 1.4v.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Riiiiiiiight. Because everybody who buys an AMD product is biased. Sure. And of course, a 4ghz e5200 totally outperforms a Ph2 550. (Oh, wait) The e5200 is a great product - I wrote glowingly about it in my CPU Buyer's Guide - but it's not the end-all-to-be-all processor, and the 90% of PC users who don't buy it aren't all 'biased'.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Well...

I have experience using an AMD Athlon II X2 245 like you can see here:
DSC00100.jpg

DSC00058.jpg

I tried various apps on (even folding) and I found it to be no more responsive than my old socket 939 AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+. In fact when I attempted to fold on them both, they obtained the same scores (same PPD).

The lack of an L3 Cache seems to really hinder it's performance when it came to overall system responsiveness (using some rather large, ~1.5TB total, Microsoft Outlook email archive folders).

The only Core 2 Duo-style CPU I can compare it with would be my Core 2 Duo E6600. And the only thing I can say is that the Core 2 Duo E6600 offers better performance in that sort of environment.

As for gaming, well I have yet to try gaming on the Athlon II X2 245.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

For twenty dollars more of the price of that cpu, I could get a Gigabyte matx mobo with the e5200. Hmmm... For about the same results?! Go figure... And then some people in here critcize about buying 40 dollar hsf's? Your obviously biased, did you even look at the video encoding benchmarks?

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008

Well, I rarely video encode, and if I did, a few seconds doesn't make a difference. And the e5200 was trounced on every other test but WinPrime. So again, if you think everybody who doesn't buy an e5200 is 'biased', you're delusional.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Pretty sure I would go with the CPU that has the best stock performance because Overclocking, no matter the track record, is always a chip per chip basis and you shouldn't bank on something that might not work at all. =P

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
@kithzaru

I agree, although, this chip was exceptional, And it still is, nearly two years later. People that bought the Regor need to be happy with their purchase and stop trying to justify that it's better in one way or another. I just lay out facts. Hell, I even told someone when it first came out "Would I say the Regor is better @ stock speeds? Oh, definitely."

With a CAPABLE mobo, the MO e5200 can do at least 3.8 ghz most of the time just under 1.4v. Which still puts it ahead of any of the Regors. This is a common thing IF you have a GOOD mobo. It's not a hit and miss thing really. It's just people think they can get away with the cheapest mobo out there with no voltage adjustments. You'll notice they say they can't get past 3 ghz stable. And I would know, cause I was in the same situation. The people that say 3.3 ghz usually say they don't want to take it past 1.3v.

@Smithereen

Did I say everybody that doesn't buy a e5200 is biased? No, I pointed out a few that bought a REGOR.

Also, where does the 550 fit in all of this? If you want to compare a ~40 dollar difference, you might as well compare that to a e8300.

I agree, they are both good chips nonetheless. Let's be real though, we all know the Regor can't touch the RO.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
It came in when you said "obviously your biased with your purchase." - when you accused me of being biased because I didn't buy an e5200.

It's true that an R0 e5200 will probably be a better overclocking chip than the C2 Athlon II, but not by too too much, and I'd rather be stuck with a dud 250 than a dud e5200.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I think your kind of twisting the truth. I never said nothing about "...beacuse I didn't buy an e5200..." Could you as to kindly show me where I said that?

Second... Did he you hear what he said? His 245 is just as responsive as his x2 3800.

If you ever seen a 4+ ghz e5200 boot up and used it, you probably wouldn't be saying that. For some reason, the chip gets really responsive when you get past that. Going to finally trade in my MO for the RO. I'll post results for you then...

Ummmm, if 3.8 ghz is the limit for your chip at 1.45v, then I'd really hate to see a dud version of it.

Lastly, not by much? Don't get it confused, the RO can overclock about 400 mhz better on an average then the MO. I think your comparing the MO to your Athlon II. I wouldn't listen to those clowns that are stuck at 3.0 - 3.3 ghz or lower just because they bought a board with limited voltage control.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
You didn't specifically say that, but you referenced 'my purchase', a Ph2 550.

Yes, he did say that. 'feels as responsive' is subject. Folding the same as as X2 3800 is just plain wierd.

I've never used a 4GHZ e5200, but I have used a 3.67 e8400. I'd take it over a locked 550 any day, but not an unlocked one.

3.8GHZ is not the limit of my chip at 1.45. It can go to 4.4, 4.4, 3.8, 4.2. As a dually, it will hit 4.4. It is also a 550, not a 250.

The e5200 is 2.5GHZ a dually that will OC 4.0-4.5GHZ. The 250 is a 3.0GHZ dually that will OC from 3.8-4.2. Which has better PPC? Depends on the application. They are both fantastic chips. Which would I buy? I honestly don't know. If I was throwing the rig out next year - the e5200. In reality? Probably the 250, it has the better upgrade path. Am I happy with my CPU? Ecstatic. Would I be happy with it if it didn't unlock? Sure.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Is it not a Ph II AMD product? Exactly... I seen the fanboi trend here if I ever seen one before. Oh, I would love to see you even post 4.2 ghz. You don't even have to prime it, just screenshot cpuz. I won't ask for the 4.4 ghz at 1.45v, cause I know that's just plain BS.

Have you ever experienced a high clocked dual? If you didn't, don't talk cause I used a quad core before, it ain't all what people claim it to be here on these forums.

You know what? Link or BS...

I provide sufficient links. I don't suppose you could do the same...

SBFHawk1

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

Hey Nonsense I have screenshots of the 250 II at 3.4 MHZ of course at 1.45 Stock voltage..I will get it to go up a bit more where it was before at 3.8MHZ at stock voltage with very good stabilty running a stability test. I tried posting on here but the script wont work. You got an email?

Hey man I dont dislike Intel just trying to show you that dollar per dollar for gaming I like AMDS they perform really well. I7s are the Sh$$ but who wants to pay that kind of money..AMD will have a solution for that at a much lower price.And for that reason I go AMD!

namcost

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

I'll put it to you this way.....

I own a AMD 6000+ (years ago processor lol) and a 4870 1Gb.

I can play all games, on high, steady fps, in the green area's.

The AMD Athlon II 246 is FASTER than my processor. YES, you can game on it. Technology is moving forward. If the 250 benches better than mine (which it does) then yes, you can game on it.......