Athlon vs Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
I thought Burger held that position?

Mat are you trying to steal Burgers JOB?

hmmm....

No offense intended Juin, and I hope you take this in the humor I intended it!

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Fortunately, I think Via has done that. My KT133 was quite stable with the latest drivers from them, and my new KT266A board is the most stable setup I've run on, Including my old BX440 board.

However, it is good that there is such stiff competition. It means lower prices and usually better quality in production and drivers. That's why I hope ATI succedes with it's 8500 chips and drivers, to keep Nvidia on it's toes. It was good that there are a few decient Athlon boards out there, it gives people choices in several areas. That's where Intel could run into a problem with their MBs. They're being very picky as to who comes out with what kind of chipset for their P4s (The Intel vs Via issue), and that could hurt them in the long run, by stiffarming the competition.

60 FPS, 70 FPS, 80 FPS Crash!
Daylight comes and I have to go to work :frown:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I think burger and I should share the job, but if he dosent want it, I can use the extra posts lol.

~Matisaro~
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

FatBurger

Illustrious
I dont say is AMD are crash 2 time/hour but a P4 with win 2k with good setting and driver never crash.In real time with all kind of useur and software.You that via suck and you know it well.

I don't think that AMD crashes twice an hour on the half hour, but with a P4 running under Win2k with good settings and drivers, you'll never get a crash. I'm talking about running constantly with all kinds of users and software.
You know that Via sucks, and you know it well.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Juin, with the right settings and the right drivers the athlon will not crash ever under win2k as well.

What is your point, we all know via has had some issues, the kt266a looks pretty stable.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
technical knowledge to install

Suppostly i was very easy.Even here not the half of the useur dont know what there are doing.Most of the software/hardware are test mainly with Intel systeme.

How a Via chipset work under win 95.

Just the most popular hardware/software work good with VIA.

When there will will have a nice mobo with a sis chipset i maybe be will reconsider me point.

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>Because 90% of the users of this forum have athlon pcs,

this pure BS, 90% of the athlon users are here looking for help, and the rest are trolls like yourself.

Intel users are sarce because the system they build run correct the first time right out of the box, AMD users need to do serious research, head scratching and spend many hours looking thru forums for the perfect combination.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How a Via chipset work under win 95.
You mean Win95 can't load with VIA/AMD K6-2? Read this, it happens to P4 too!
<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/products/Techref/Tech-report/mthmbqa.html" target="_new">Problem installing Windows 95 on P4B and P4T series M/Bs.</A>
>><b>Windows 95 has the same timing loop problem with P4 platform as occurred on AMD K6/2 processor before. To install Win95 on P4 motherboard, you need to downgrade the processor to 800MHz if possible and load the AMDK6UPD patch file from Microsoft. If the processor frequency is locked like regular retail processors, Win95 and the AMDK6UPD patch have to be pre-loaded on another platform to get rid of the IOS protection error.</b><<

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Yes, you need technical knowledge to install.

I've been down this road before.

You know what. If a total newbie decides to go out and build a PC without any clue on how to do it - fine buy a system that is idiot proof. Get an Intel board and cpu. God only knows there are enought idiots around here touting intel blindly so it must be true.

If you are building a pc and you have the faintest idea what you are doing, you'll not have an issue with heat, speed, drivers, cracked cores etc.

News flash for the world - you cannot do something technical if you are cluelesss. The ability to add a new CD Rom drive and wield a screwdriver in anger do not make you a master SI and guarantee success building PCs from scratch....

If a person does not have the faintest idea what they are doing then they should either be prepared to pay for their mistakes, or pay someone else who does know what they are doing.

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
AMDMeltdown, there are many people on these forums such as FatBurger, Crashman, Matisaro, LHGPooBaa and myself, who have posted hundreds, even thousands of posts to assist other computer users; you, on the other hand, have done nothing but put down AMD users. I agree you have to do more research when purchasing an AMD platform but isn't that supposed to be fun? It is extremely fun to read benchmarks and articles about different computer components. Even if you were a to-be Intel user, you need to still do some research. I mean you have the 845, 850, P4X266....platforms for Intel processors. If you didn't do research, you might find yourself getting an 845 motherboard with 512MB SDRAM and a 1.5GHz P4. That rig will perform very very poorly. Even a 900MHz Athlon could probably beat it in most benchmarks. You need to research in any case if you want to pick quality components.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Thanks for the positive mention, meltdown is a troll, he exists to insult others, he probably dosent even own a p4 system.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Like some dos game and old graphic card.Normaly with P4 is due to old standard that are no more support .

Wisdom dont come with time
Meilleur chance la prochaine fois

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like some dos game and old graphic card.Normaly with P4 is due to old standard that are no more support .
<b><font color=red>???</b></font color=red>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
You'll have to ignore meltdoofus. He is an idiot. I currently am running ez cd creator 5 and the program that makes audio from the line in on your sound card, spin doctor has been running all of today and yesterday night copying my old records to audio. When this program runs it keeps the CPU maxed out at 100%. I haven't had any instability problems yet with my machine and that's with a VIA kt133 chipset.

My system: <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=8946</A>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
100%? That's too high. I burn CDs with Easy CD Creator 5 and do other things on my computer at the same time without any slow downs. Weird. I have a 1.2 GHz Athlon@ 1.33GHz and 256MB RAM (upgrading to 512MB or 1 GB soon).

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I know juin doesnt have a p4(or at least not when he first showed up) he was tauting the p4 and he was running a p2 400 or something, LOL. I doubt meltdown can afford a p4, let alone owning one.

What is your system meltdown, at least fugger has a half decent system to brag about.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
lol
and we all know what i have. :)

next upgrade cycle... northwood and DDR-333/400 or thouroughbred with the same

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Funny, Melty once said, "My duallies are too awesome for this board." I imagine he's running dual P200's or less. Also claims to use SCSI...I imagine he's got a 1GB hard drive hanging off a narrow SCSI-1 controller with integrated floppy controller...remember those? :lol:

Kelledin
<A HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/" target="_new">LFS</A>: "You don't eat or sleep or mow the lawn; you just hack your distro all day long."

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Oh almost forgot my "job"

Juin: Like some old dos games and older graphics cards. Normally these issues with the p4 are due to old standards which are no longer supported.

~Matisaro~
~Tbird1.3@1.5~

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah...
the pentium3-1000 is still heaps more expensive than even the athlon1.4's! on par with the new XP's here in OZ.

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?