Athlon x4 845 throttling issue

orests-

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
Hey guys I am facing a strange issue with my cpu.In some games the cpu is throttling from 3.8ghz to 2.7 ghz but on synthetic benchmarks and other cpu demanding applications is running on it's full speed with no problems at all.I tried to fix it by turning off C6 mode and amd cool and quiet feature but still nothing :(
Could someone help ?

Sorry for the psuedo-rez, but I have been having this same issue - but only with certain games.

I can run Prime95, AIDA64, Intelburntest, and any other stress testing software without any throttling problems, with good thermals, but with certain games (notably Fallout4 and Company of Heroes 2) I get some declocks that dip down to 2.5ghz.

Doesn't matter what BIOS settings I use, it just happened.

What motherboard are you happening to be using? I have an Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4.

orests-

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

I am using a88x g43 from msi I didn't had problems with my previous cpu or any other issues

orests-

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

Yeap I have the latest bios version although it is beta.Honestly the only thing I could think is that the cpu throttles in these games in order to stay on the thermal limit I tried undervolting it but nothing happened :(

Same issue. Undervolting, overvolting, none of this has helped me.

I have even had a conversation with Gigabyte over this matter, with submitting a number of screenshots and videos documenting the issue. I'm still awaiting to have a word back from them, as well as for them to release a non-beta BIOS.

I came across this thread because I was seriously considering buying a motherboard from another vendor, with a non-beta BIOS, to see if they suffered from the same issue. Sadly, I overlooked that your latest BIOS was still beta.

I hope others have some input.

orests-

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

The only manufacturer who has original bios is asus but I don't think it's worth the money cause you will need an expensive one.this athlon pulls an extremely amount of voltage mine on synthetic benchmarks reaches 1.46V at stock I don't think that the vrms of a cheap let's say a58 or a68 motherboard will handle it
Anyway thanks for your time man I will try to figure out other solutions in the future :)

For funsies, I just ordered the Asus A88XM-A/3.1 - it's native BIOS support includes the 845. I'll keep you updated.

orests-

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

OK

Righto, so the A88XM-A/3.1 came in the mail, and I put the Athlon x4 845 through its paces. The phenomenon remains the same - stress-testing acts totally fine, but during certain games (Fallout 4 and Company of Heroes 2) there was the same throttling phenomenon.

For what its worth, the actual *felt* gameplay experience seemed better/smoother, but there was still some serious chokes, and a noticeable reduction in framerates in some areas. That really sucks.

I wish I could recommend a fix for you that doesn't involve throwing down more cash, but I fear that it what you will be forced to do. I have seen the Athlon X4 860K go on sale for almost $60 bucks, which isn't too bad. Maybe you can find someone who wants to purchase that CPU, that won't be gaming with it, to help mitigate the cost of a new purchase?

I'm going to be donating the 845 and old motherboard to my father, to use as a basis for a HTPC.

orests-

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015

Thanks for the advice the fun fact is that I bought the 845 over the 860k for the new architecture and the efficiency but I don't think it's worth it the only game I have throttling is watchdogs plus that
Zen is coming soon so I will be waiting thanks again man :)