ATI 4870x2 trounces the 280gtx

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yeah, like I said, but 2 GTXs back to back and you definitely have to declock that one whose HSF is pressed right into the warm back of the other one. [:zorg:2]

I'd be interesting to see a $1000 GPU, considering the 280GTXs are at $450, I'd say two put together equaling $1000 isn't unreasonable. The only GPU I can remember that was ever that expensive was the 7950GX2, although I'm not sure if it ever hit $1000 (What's €890 at that time in USD?).

Well the GF7800GTX-512 did sell for $1,000 for a while there (which was ridiculous), and there watercooled GF8800GTXs that sold for $1000 near launch.
I'm not sure about the GX2, but it wouldn't have surprised me if it reached that level at least at some e-tailers.

I'm thinking what Nvidia might do is at the 55nm die shrink, rebadge the 260GTX and OC it by 10%. Effectively creating a 9800GTX-type card. Then they'll release 260GX2 rebadged to something else, much like the 9800GX2. Considering this is Nvidia and they love to rebadge things, 9800GT, 9800GTX, 9600GSO, ect, this seems reasonable.

Yeah that's my thinking, but once again I'd be surprised if they were to make it a 512bit card because the complexity is pretty nutty. If the G200 55nm refresh is 256bit and it doesn't vastly improve performance but greatly improves yields/cost, then I think it's likely we'll see a GX2 solution based on it to recapture the 'single card' crown; however if it remains 512bit, I think it's equally unlikely we would see one and nV will be relying on speed to make their mark in the performance arena.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
Nvidia might have to start thinking out of the box for real. Have a PCI-E card with a cable solderied on running outside the compuer case to a "external GPU box", large metalic enclosure with its own fans, designer heat sinks and its own power supply. Works as a space heater too!! DVI and HDMI connections right on the "external GPU" Also being a lover of rubber feet , big rubber feet on the external GPU BOX.. Yeah .. call it the BIG FOOT Nvidia Big Frikken Box 380GTX.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

That setup would be like as big as a mATX case. It'd be like an external ePeen.

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Yeah .. call it the BIG FOOT Nvidia Big Frikken Box 380GTX

maximiza now look what youve done , Concrum will now use this as a geniune release and spread stupid rumours across all the forums that nvidia have a new card and hes read about it lol