ATI Catalyst 10.4 WHQL Drivers Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlpatague

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
If you have Catalyst 10.4a preview drivers installed then you do not need to install this WHQL 10.4 version. In fact the 10.4a preview drivers are newer than the WHQL drivers. So I'd even say find the 10.4a drivers instead.

@tpi2007 - I wouldn't say the 2d performance has been fixed for the 5xxx series cards with this release my 2d performance actually dropped on my 5770 using Tom's 2d benches with this new driver - which could be why it wasn;t mentioned !

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
its funny that the 2d fix is what i had come up with the fix, plus more of course, but my experimental discovery of the ram speed was true, now the ram throttles either to 900 or 1200 on my 5870, so its the ram mostly being an issue when throttling up/down

either way its nice it works now, though we dont get the same benefits as previous clocks... toms needs to do the benchmark run and do the power consumption i bet it went up due to the higher core and mem speeds

also dual displays seems still to be a bit bugged the throttled speed would not go down even after stopping play of HD content for example...

jkeopka

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I am confused and disappointed. I am running Lucid Lynx and I still don't have a driver for my Mob. Radeon 5870 :'(

Unless I am missing something?

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Marcus, why on earth did you not mention the fact that the release notes clearly say that the 2D performance problems have been fixed ? You made a two part article on this problem and now don't even mention it ?"Performance on 2D applications and benchmarks has now been fixed"http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/Catal [...] _notes.pdf[/citation]

Times eleventy-billion

G

Did these finally fix the Grey Screen of Death plaguing 57xx and 58xx users in Win7?

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]JDFan[/nom]@tpi2007 - I wouldn't say the 2d performance has been fixed for the 5xxx series cards with this release my 2d performance actually dropped on my 5770 using Tom's 2d benches with this new driver - which could be why it wasn;t mentioned ![/citation]

[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]It would defiantly be nice if the 2d was fixed.Hopefully it was not mentioned because there is another article in the works...If not, might want to hop to it[/citation]

Honestly and evidently, the fact of whether what ATI claims is true or not does not belong in a news piece, but in a future article.

That does not however have anything to do on reporting ATI's claims, which are newsworthy, especially for a site that brought up the problem.

What I cannot understand is what kind of obscure journalism this is - one that stays absolutely quiet about ATI's claims in the official driver release notes. I don't expect testing in a news article, I expect reporting the claims.

It's a one sentence job, really, "ATI claims the 2D performance issue has been fixed and we're testing these claims right now, so we'll have an article on it soon."

I'm baffled, really.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
I just found out what happenend, you just made copy/paste from ATI's blog, here:

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2010/04/28/ati-catalyst%E2%84%A2-10-4-driver-%E2%80%93-what%E2%80%99s-new/

He says at the end "For more information on ATI Catalyst 10.4 (for Windows® 7, Windows Vista®, Windows® XP, and Linux® versions), including all of the resolved issues in this release, please see the ATI Catalyst 10.4 release notes."

And it appears you didn't. And still don't. Despite the fact I mentioned it more than a day ago, after another user alerted me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.