ATI Catalyst 10.6 Released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Can confirm that it does fix alot of BC2 issues. No more jackass grass, no more texture artifacts in DX9 mode. Map loading in DX10 and DX11 has finally been fixed.

But... Now I get real bad screen flicker with HBAO on. But turning it off is better than going back to 10.5 for sure.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Bdonedge[/nom]ATTN: curnel_D, does that BFBC2 fix work with 4000 series?[/citation]
Yep. I use a 4850x2 and a friend of mine uses a 5870 and all issues are gone aside from my HBAO problem. He doesn't seem to have it, so it's hard to tell whether it's a 4000 series problem or a CF problem.

bdonedge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]Yep. I use a 4850x2 and a friend of mine uses a 5870 and all issues are gone aside from my HBAO problem. He doesn't seem to have it, so it's hard to tell whether it's a 4000 series problem or a CF problem.[/citation]

I see you said load times are fixed with DX10, does that include DX9? Then again I'm not sure how to load it with DX10 or 9, or how to tell which one it IS running on.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Ive had HDMI audio in linux since day 1 upgrade your version of ALSA or get a modern kernel, hell it takes 15 minutes to build a kernel these days. Just choose HDMI on Ati (or similar) as your sound output device, works fine with my 2494HS and 5870.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
DX9 never had long loading issues. BC2 runs in DX10 mode by default on the 4 series. To change it, go to Documents>BF:BC2>settings.ini Find the line that says "DxVersion=auto" and change it to either "DxVersion=9" or "DxVersion=10"

indusone

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
HDMI works out of the box on linux, just have to select it from your preferences for those who have an HDMI receiver box or tv set.

indusone

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
"Tell me what cards do support hdmi audio in Linux? None that I am aware of. So guess you are going to be without a video card for a while."

Also, its not the card but the ALSA sound architecture in Linux which decodes the HDMI stream, so any card with HDMI should be detected and should output to HDMI receiver.

And this has been true for almost 2 years now.

indusone

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I have the ATI Radeon 4850 running on Ubuntu OS. Its just dandy :), Some sound options have to be set properly to switch between onboard sound, ac 97 sound and that kind of stuff.

Sorry for the multiple post, newbie here ,cant seem to find the edit button.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]WOW, that is the dumbest thing I have seen all week. I thought my cat meowing while yawning was a dumb sight. Anyways on topic: Nice to see improvements. I'm buying a 5000 series card after the summer, and it is always nice to see that my investment is going to be even better spent.[/citation]
THAT was the dumbest? i can get A LOT dumber lol, keep an eye out for my dumbass comments =D

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
The New Linux driver is awesome, it loads much easier than previous drivers, its almost a dumbed down as a microshaft installation now. All I had to do was double click on the download run it in the terminal and wham in it went the load screen looked just like a MS load screen.

Well done ATI.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]littlec[/nom]Why is toms regurgitating the same info I read when I updated my drivers?[/citation]
Because I didn't update your drivers and get a chance to read it there.

sprunth

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]curnel_D[/nom]Yep. I use a 4850x2 and a friend of mine uses a 5870 and all issues are gone aside from my HBAO problem. He doesn't seem to have it, so it's hard to tell whether it's a 4000 series problem or a CF problem.[/citation]

I've noticed a little increase in 4000s performance, but at least a much better loading time :D

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]silversurfernhs[/nom]My next card will be nVidia, i'll never buy a radeon graphics card again, nVidias are simply superior and more mature[/citation]Yeah like Nvidia doesn't release drivers with problems? Remember the one that wasn't properly ramping up fan speeds? Whoops! That was so bad they had to yank the driver release.
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]nothing for the 4000 series, fruck you ATI !!!![/citation][citation][nom]tony singh[/nom]Looks like no more improvements for hd 4000 series from now on. The champ may have matured..[/citation]They spent a lot of time optimizing the drivers for the 4000 series. There's not much left for them to do. Drivers aren't magic. You run out of stuff worth optimizing after a certain point.

Status
Not open for further replies.