ATI Catalyst 9.11 WHQL Released, GPU Flash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Sucks to be nVidia right now. They must be pissing themselves over all of these releases[/citation]
I don't think they're pissing themselves at all. Don't worry, when it's their turn, heads will turn, and they will get the limelight, until, subsequently ATI goes on the defensive and the cycle will continue to drive prices down and technology forward! I own an nvidia, and you could even call me a 'fanboy' but I am so happy that ATI continues to push the envolope...this is great news for all!

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Awesome! AMD/ATi leading the way on PCs once again![/citation]

Well, actually, in this case, no. Nvidia has, as of today, better support for GPU flash acceleration. Like said above, Anandtech has the story on it.

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I have ATI Radeon HD 3300 Graphics and I have some version of Catalyst installed. I'm not at home so I can't go look, but it must not be 9.9 or 9.10, because it seems to work OK. Before I install 9.11, do I need to uninstall the old version, or can I install over it?

If I uninstall the old drivers, will it go to some kind of VGA default mode, or is it possible to end up with no video at all?

G

WTF Toms! Nvidia came out with drivers for this a week ago and you didn't say anything! ATI comes out with support and you write an entire article on it?!? How biased are you these days! And where on earth are your articles on fermi? First MIMD GPU and you have nothing to say...no input at all....I don't believe that.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Sucks to be nVidia right now. They must be pissing themselves over all of these releases[/citation]
Not really, at least not where flash is concerned. ATI does have the GPU advantage right now, but Nvidia has a wider range of support for flash acceleration, basically every card dating back to the 8600 GTS is supported. They've also supported flash acceleration for a longer period of time. Catalyst 9.11 WHQL is the first ATI driver release to support this feature and even then acceleration is still somewhat spotted and buggy.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
GPU Acceleration of H.264 video content using Adobe Flash
Player 10.1 Beta

This release of ATI Catalyst™ supports the new Hardware Acceleration features of
Adobe Flash Player 10.1 Beta for video encoded in the H.264 format. Adobe Flash Player
10.1 Beta introduces hardware-based H.264 video decoding to deliver smooth video
playback, reduce system resource utilization, and preserve battery life. Adobe Flash
Player 10.1 Beta is expected to be available for download from Adobe Labs
(labs.adobe.com) before the end of the year. This feature is supported on the ATI Radeon
HD 5800, ATI Radeon HD 5700 and ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series of products.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]Well, actually, in this case, no. Nvidia has, as of today, better support for GPU flash acceleration. Like said above, Anandtech has the story on it.[/citation]

Well, and as of today, that is - a few hours have passed, it turns out AMD's new Catalyst 9.11 does a pretty good job after all. Anandtech has updated the article.

Neither AMD nor Nvidia has it 100%, but it may also be a flash problem, it's still beta after all, and the future drivers will probably feature even more performance increases.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I don't get:

1) neither why there is so much noise about "accelerated" flash with h264
2) why, on earth, is it ATI that should change the software to enable flash acceleration, shouldn't Adobe be doing it? Or they still didn't get over "no AMD" chauvinism?

Status
Not open for further replies.