ATI - Catalyst Control Center - Windows 8 RP

kyrotomia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I am on a Asus G73JH (ATI Radeon Mobility Hd 5870) and trying the windows 8 RELEASE PREVIEW. I downloaded the ATI drivers from AMD (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx) and it seems the Catalyst Control Center simply won't install. The driver is working, but I really need access to the CCC (I got a big black border all around my screen, which I need to remove in the scaling option of CCC).

Anyone got a similar issue and/or found a solution?

Thank you!

Solution

Yes Sindawi, my CP version worked perfectly too.
But we're talking about the newer Release Preview version.

Anyhow, I found the right download page, and my CCC is up and running.

I don't know how I missed this the first several times through.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx

Hyperlink is highlighted in green under the Instructions heading.

kyrotomia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I am indeed 64 bit, but there is no cpu specific version for the package.

So far, I tried the Asus supplied driver (win 7), the AMD's win7 version, and the consumer preview version (found a mirror somewhere). The consumer preview version got me to a point where the CCC icon shows up in my tray, but still does nothing when opened (window never comes up, and tray icon dissapear).

Meh... Guess I'll have to wait for an update from AMD.

craigsn

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Same for me kyrotomia. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

einstein949

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

I had this exact problem and I tried every method under the sun... however, what I had to do eventually was format and load Win7, install CCC + drivers, upgrade to Win 8 RP; everything seems to work fine now.

I hope it works for you!

00jeepCherokee

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

I am having the exact same issue with an HP 64 bit desktop AMD Radeon HD 5570 trying to get the CCC for Win 8 RP.
CCC installed and ran fine on Win 8 CP, but all it wants to install on Win 8 RP is the stupid engine control, which doesn't help me worth d*ck.

And yes, I have the Big Black Border around my screen.

Of course we can go to control panel and adjust the resolution to fill the screen, but everything gets distorted - at least in my case - which is why I need the CCC.

Jeep

00jeepCherokee

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Yes Sindawi, my CP version worked perfectly too.
But we're talking about the newer Release Preview version.

Anyhow, I found the right download page, and my CCC is up and running.

I don't know how I missed this the first several times through.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Windows8ConsumerPreviewDrivers.aspx

Hyperlink is highlighted in green under the Instructions heading.

Solution

einstein949

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I emailed AMD support to see if they had a response to this widespread issue. Basically, they said that they aren't offering any support until Windows 8 is released fully and that because the CP and RP drivers they offer are engineering samples they are not responsible for any systems not functioning.
They also suggest getting the drivers from the manufacturer.... only problem is that for my laptop ASUS hasn't updated the page since the laptop came out late 2010.

00jeepCherokee

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Einstein949 -

Did you try the link in my post right above yours?
The hyperlink to the CCC install is highlighted in green under the paragraph heading 'Instructions'.

Works fine for me on Win 8 RP.
- and it rhymes too ;-)

pedrolocalist

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

I did install that version and still have the same problem, catalyst control center won't open and I have a black frame around my monitor.

dtnat

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

For now, try the following:

1. Go to 'Screen Resolution'
2. Click 'Advanced settings'
3. Click 'List All Modes'
4. Click your screen resolution with 60 Hertz and click 'OK'
5. Click 'Apply'

This should fix the 'Black frame' issue as it did for me.

Using an AMD 4850.

lethalsam

Honorable
May 3, 2012
"Black frame" is Not fixed by changing the Hertz...

In, CCC change the the Monitor settings by moving the slider on the Overscan/Oversampling settings.

that's what causes the black Borders around most HDTV's

pedrolocalist

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

I know, but the problem is CCC won't open.

I even uninstall the CCC and drivers, clean all leftovers and reinstalled again and still won't open.

lethalsam

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I am using Catalyst 11-9 with my Win 8 RP

just install the CCC from it (NOT the Display Driver, given the one you already have is working fine)

and then change the Overscan settings

vincent price

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I am having issues with CCC as well, and I tried the Windows 8 drivers. Unfortunately my video card has not been included on the compatibility list yet (HD4650), so I can't even get CCC to open, it just says "No video card that can be used with CCC detected", or something along these lines.

Fortunately most things still work, the only thing that doesn't is CCC and for some reason OpenGL.

mathanas

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Good Evening Everyone...

I had the same problem...

Brand new windows 8 pro 64bit
Ati HD 5450

and every time i tried to run the ati catalyst install ...NOTHING HAPPENED...

So download the 12.8 Catalyst Drivers Suite and try compatibility mode to XP with SP3... and everything will be just fine !!!

Chears

daov2a

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Here's the fix for me. I PREFER to not have any AMD/ATI software installed if possible. Generally has no benefit and with the latest Win8 package, CCC is gone. Looks to be replaced with AMD Vision Engine CC, which isn't ready for prime time. Compatibility Mode also did not work as the option for XP is gone in Windows 8. This is what I did to fix the black bars.

If you have ANY AMD/ATI junkware installed, remove it and then REBOOT.

1. Open regedit, go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\
2. There will be various long strings here beginning with brackets
3. One of these will be for your monitor/HDTV
***To discern which is for your TV, expand each one. The one that has a subkey with "0000" and/or "0001" is for your TV.
4. Once that is found, select 0000
5. Create a new DWord value. 32 bit is fine.
6. Type this for the key: DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan
7. The value will default to "0". Leave that.
8. Reboot
9. Blammo. Full screen.

If that doesn't work, I would strongly suggest repeating the above steps AFTER doing a Windows 8 refresh, which removes all software added to Windows 8 but keeps your files.

I have also found that the above does not work if the following key in the same 0000 key directory is set to "0": TVEnableOverscan. If that is 0, set it to 1.

penfald

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I have the RTM version of Windows 8 and I am still getting the same problems - no Catalyst Control Centre, just the engine control centre and no CCC. I have the A8 processor with dual graphic cards and I am hoping to get the laptop monitor and my 2 extra monitors all working at the same time (Should be possible with 2 graphics cards)

mghelech

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I am using WIN 8 RTM, HD 5400 series and HP 2511 LCD. I wasn't able to open CCC until few minutes ago, after I upgraded to the latest version of 2012.0806.1213.19931.

I just went directley to AMD's website, let it to detect my hardware and downloaded the required package.

Then I was able to open CCC, and using CCC>My Digital Flat-Panels>Scaling options (Digital Flat-Panel) to move the the scaling towards overscan, and resolve the black border issue.

daov2a

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
mghelech is correct. The scaling options appear to be back (for some versions of CCC with some video cards). If it won't open or you prefer to not use CCC, best bet is to edit the registry.

Penfald, are you getting the black bars on one or ALL of the three monitors or what exactly is the issue? Is one of the monitors not working?

penfald

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
No black bars for me, works great on two monitors, just cant get monitors to work plus the laptop screen.

The vision control centre has updated itself and now has most of the tasks, bust still no eyefinity that I can see.

I have managed to get .Net framework all working now, but it required a bit of fudging to get it too install