ATI: Expect DirectX 11 and 40 nm GPUs in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmm, is it just me, or am I the only person to see the improvements made by DX10.1, which wasnt mentioned here at all? The 4xAA minimum AA shows a nice improvement in performance, yet again, its not mentioned here. Was the writer prohibited to whats only been mentioned before, or does the writer have the ability to go beyond what others have said and bring more to the article? We all know DX10.1 has been out for quite some time, and to go completely unmentioned in the article shows a lack of either knowledge, or a shunning of something that will be seen as relvent. When DX11 comes out, how much of the "improvements " will actually be DX10.1?

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jaydeejohn[/nom]Ummmm, is it just me, or am I the only person to see the improvements made by DX10.1, which wasnt mentioned here at all? The 4xAA minimum AA shows a nice improvement in performance, yet again, its not mentioned here. Was the writer prohibited to whats only been mentioned before, or does the writer have the ability to go beyond what others have said and bring more to the article? We all know DX10.1 has been out for quite some time, and to go completely unmentioned in the article shows a lack of either knowledge, or a shunning of something that will be seen as relvent. When DX11 comes out, how much of the "improvements " will actually be DX10.1?[/citation]

Because nobody wants to read about a theoretical article on what they believe DX11 will be. This is about what ATI's 09 cards are going to include, not DirectX. Besides nobody wants to hear about Microsoft unless they are shunning Vista or releasing info on Windows 7.

starhoof

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I know this might be little out of theme but couldnt resist to express my feelings about DX11

well i wonder if we can just install DX 11 with our current GPUs and
with Vista, or will we have to purchase a new GPU that supports it, and a windows 7 ?

if it will not work with at least current GPUs:
honestly dropping one thing after another makes me sick, because here you spend $400-$500 on a new GPU, and $250 on new OS and then they release new standard next year and say "oh well, you cant play DX11 because your (top of the line) GPU doesn't support it."

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]starhoof[/nom]I know this might be little out of theme but couldnt resist to express my feelings about DX11well i wonder if we can just install DX 11 with our current GPUs and with Vista, or will we have to purchase a new GPU that supports it, and a windows 7 ?if it will not work with at least current GPUs:honestly dropping one thing after another makes me sick, because here you spend $400-$500 on a new GPU, and $250 on new OS and then they release new standard next year and say "oh well, you cant play DX11 because your (top of the line) GPU doesn't support it."[/citation]
I'm positive it will,just that they're not going to optomized towards running Direct-X 11 but only 10. It's probably why the 3800 series from ATi didn't beat Nvidia all too well.

zengrath

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I would like to know more about this better multi-threading support with the new DX myself. It seems more and more GPU is taking over most the computations in-games but also if your using a single core CPU it's always at 100% while in a game, and 50% with most games with dual cores. So I'm curious, what is the CPU doing all that time? And i keep getting the impression that allowing games to utilize multiple cores better would not have much effect to be worth it.. but how is that possible?

Would games in the future that are able to utilize 4 cores fully really benefit? This excites me but at same time it is disappointing that so many people seem to not care.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I imagine DX11 will include the virtualization part that was knixed from DX10, it will have hardware tesselation which isn't hard to implement on a game designed with atleast shader 3.0, Ray-Tracing, and Touch Screen Support. This is the difference I imagine it will possess over DX10. However, some of it is included in DX10.1.

If you have a bump map (Bump, Normal, or Parallax), you can tesselate.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I'm fairly certain you'll have to be running vista to use/install dx11 and it will not work under XP. All hail MicroSoft!

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I can't recall where I heard this from, but I did hear that DX11 will work with Vista and 7. So it won't be 7 only like DX10 was Vista only...

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
hmmm... i doubt this will be for little dragon, so this must be for the hd 6000 series... too far for my taste -_-... but they do release 2 generations a year

G

Older GPUs will be supported but they cant do things the newer GPUs will be capable of. Just like Directx 9 would run on anything from a Ti 4200 to a 7900 GTX, 11 should run on anything supporting 10. The new advances just get lost. Basically what should happen is if a card doesnt support a specific 11 feature it gets mapped to what handles a similar function in 10 or 9 if thats the case. Some games of course may not run if you dont have the correct graphics card. Due to the XP/Vista Snafu with 9 and 10 most game makers wont cut their user base by only supporting 11. It just wont look quite as pretty or run as fast.

traviso

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Just to clear up some confusion in the other comments.... newer versions add features that haven't been implement in previous hardware. So your current hardware WILL NOT use DX11, it will use DX10 or DX10.1, and no more. You may be able to install the DX11 setup (which includes previous DX packages) but you won't be able to see the newer DX11 effects or speedups.

DX11 will only be available on Vista an Windows 7.

hannibal

Distinguished
Wait for dx11 and and you will hear the rumours of upcoming dx12...

That's the life. You have to develop new specs and whistles to sell customers more new devises. I think that it's called forsed aging or something like that...
Well, in anyway my knowledge of commercial gimmicry is guite poor. So in real life there is not such conspiracy in corporate headquarters, is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS