Ati for graphics or Nvidia for physics?

Soulmachiklamo

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
What's the best solution of those two? Should i go for Nvidia (GTX 295) for the extra included physics. Or Ati for Xtreme dx11 graphics (HD5970)

OR as a third option, wait :S (i am going to wait until august or so anyway, because i need to collect my money for the gpu's :) )

Wich gives a chance that nvidia releases a better dx11 dual gpu.

But once again (*phfff*) my psu is only 650 watts , and has just the power to run the HD5970, while nvidia's new cards will more likely need more power then that.....

Please help me out, i have until august to make a conclusion :D

Soulmachiklamo

The HD5970 uses 300W of power. Assuming you have 80% efficiency, that leaves you with 220Watts of power. Any decent CPU that won't bottleneck the HD5970 will use 120W of power, and the motherboard and peripherals will use about 80W. You're cutting it quite close, my friend.

But ultimate, the HD55970 is the best graphics card for gaming (in the world) currently. nVidia's GTX380, that (IIRC) is a little bitter than the HD5870, will not be used in the making of the dual-GPU chip because of power/space issues. The GTX375/360 would be used, I think, and therefore will not be as powerful as 2x HD5870's.

^ I'm probably wrong somewhere in there, though. Take a spoon of salt.

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Dont get the 295 its old tech and overpriced, the 5970 somewhat overpriced and very hard to find. Do you have a 2550x1600 monitor to take full advantage of such a card?

If you are going to wait till august then wait for Fermi to come out and see how it performs. A 650w PSU would mostlikely run one Fermi because Nvidia will be limited to the same 300w PCIE limitation ATI had with its 5970.

Soulmachiklamo

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

You we're very helpful 'my friend' :D

I think i'll go for the HD5970, and my psu has truepower, and is SLI certified and has great reviews. Still, i know 100% efficiency is hard. But i bought a decent and expensive XD psu to do this kinda things. I saw people running this beast on a 550 watt psu! That must've been a decent one :D

But your speculations helped me anyway, because i don't know that much about the new cards of nvidia.

btw, would you chose for physics or amazing graphs? I'll take ATI :D

Physics are great but not needed to make a game great. Although its great eye candy :S :sol:

Soulmachiklamo

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

I'll wait and see :p

But if the HD5970 performs better on graphics, even without physics (simulated by the gpu) I am going to chose for ATI.
Only if Nvidia comes with an card wich is great (and on the same price the ati one is) i am going to buy it.

Thanks )

DarkMantle

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
to magneezo: Dude this is the 3rd time i see you post the same link, have you even read the Specifications Sheet of that card?, is from 10/2006.

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005

OK my bad just trying to help my fellow computer-mates that want to know how they can get phys-x and still play their ATi cards.
Slicing the cake to have a piece and eat it too.

Are you 100% sure that the card will work with the latest drivers and that people can actually go and buy that card from any retailer?

AMW1011

Distinguished
PhysX =/= physics

PhysX is just an old, useless, and dead physics GPU acceleration method. DX11 can do the same on any DX11 card, ATI or nVidia, and will be easier and cheaper to implement. DX11 is the future of GPU accelerated physics.

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005

Who...little ol me?
let me ask you a question...
did you go to the site and click on the tabs that said 'Buy Now'and the 'support' tab that takes you directly to the newest Phys-x driver update?

Yes and none of those links take me to a store that still has them in stock as they are no longer a current product (because they were discontinued after Nvidia bought Aegia) and I can't buy one here any more and I would bet that many others would find the same, that together that quite a few owners of this card have reported that it no longer works in their system together with the Ati graphic card that they have, leads me to believe that you may not have been keeping up with current events.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I would seriously just wait and see what nvidia's final product is when it comes out. if you not buying until august you should see what nvidia has to offer, people can say there cards will be faster or slower but there has been no final released product or price. So you should wait until nvidia response, anyways by the time august rolls around anways there may have been even more revision of the current products so. asking several months before hand isn't going to be very useful info for what could be a completely different video card world in august

magneezo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2005

I did drop out of sight for a couple of years...my account was still around when I popped back in around late December.
This place was always alot of good information and I've learned many things coming here.
You may get a good rousing by some but it's good to know the place hasn't changed exept for the layout.

:) I know what you mean, some things change whilst others stay the same. The graphics scene has changed somewhat with things like the whole PhysX debate and renaming schemes but other things stay the same, like the various mindsets of the opposing sides for instance.

Multi monitor, 3D and gesture activated tech are some of the directions that things are headed in just for starters in the GPU's and CPU makers have been eyeing the optical data transfer possibilitys that may lie ahead so it's all been good fun.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

That's what Nvidia wants people to do anyway. Playing mind games just to deter people from buying what is in the market right now with a promise of a better future. :p

@OP: I would not be so concerned with Nvidia's Physx as it is not that widely used. Physics is not only meant for Nvidia cards, you CPU can do it too. Even crysis doesn't depend on nvidia cards but it damn looks good. :)

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
That's what Nvidia wants people to do anyway. Playing mind games just to deter people from buying what is in the market right now with a promise of a better future.

Well if you read his original post or later in my post he doesn't plan on buying his card till august the computer tech world could change quite a bit from now that's all i'm saying

notty22

Distinguished
Lets see, whats more of a gimmick, eyfinity or physx ?mmmmmm
by a ratio of 100-1 , eyeinsanity is the gimmick. 100% of Nvidia and a large amount of ATI users can and use physx in gaming. When 1% of users may even try Iinifinity and only about 1/3 of those will get it running with ATI driver whoes, their grey screening and flickering with dual monitors. But you ATI fanboys keep yucking up the wonderful 5 series and how their can never be anything more powerful than what they offer, because of some power limit. We are now at the epitome and will never have more powerful cards, LOL , wake up and smell the coffee. !!

Yes, and although the basic principle behind GPU PhysX is a great one in my opinion, the fact that ATI cannot use it as well (regardless of why) moves it into the "gimmick" category in my opinion because no developer in their right mind would develop a game with GPU PhysX required since they would be lopping off at least 30% of their market right off the bat, which is poor strategy in my opinion. Thus unless PhysX is used on ATI cards I can't see it doing anything more than "looking good", any essential physics will still have to be done on the CPU.

Notty22, the same people that buy the eyefinity cards (ones with 6 monitors), and perhaps some of the people with just the standard cards can and will utilize the eyefinity ability. Three monitors is rarely seen due to the fact that it requires a workstation card, is not supported by games, or crossfire/sli is required. ATI enables single-slow-low-budget solutions for those three issues.

Gimmick? I think not.