ATI Radeon HD 5450: Eyefinity And HTPCs For Everyone?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]brisingamen[/nom]i bet atleast one person will buy this and attempt to play crysis.[/citation]

Back when I was a noob and broke I did exactly that with a 2400 pro and ironically it did a better job in that one game than my old 7600gs.

aneasytarget

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
This is a good card for HTPC or a 2nd computer doing only Internet / YouTube. The low power requirements and the passive cooling means grandma's computer will last a really long time.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
i have seen this card with both ddr2 and ddr3, i wonder how big the difference is with such meager muscle and will we ever see a ddr5 part of this nature and how the performance will scale in those configs vs cost.

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I hate ATI, nor I am goint to have to buy one of these for my HTPC and since it run's on Linux it will probably take some tinkering to get working. At least the drivers are open source now so it will be days instead of months for a driver update.

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Wao. I didn't comment that. It was the work of Indonesian Internet, my post cut. I hate Radeon 54xx becase it not 2x 44xx. I like Radeon HD 58xx because it is 2x 48xx. I like HD 57xx because it is 2x HD 47xx and about the same as HD 48xx. I hate 56xx because it is not 2x HD 56xx. The hi end Radeon has 1600 SP, the mainstream should be half of it or 800 SP, and the low end must be half of mainstream or 400 SP. The only thinks that true is for hi end and mainstream (58xx and 57xx). I hope $50 Fermi will be 2x, 3x, or event 5x than this HD 54xx.
(I think I should check again wheater my comment be croped)

pnyhater

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
The card is ATI's budget 5000 series. It is a "good" ard, but it fails in comparison to its siblings. I would recommend the card to anyone who does moderate gaming (not Crysis) or does light multimedia work. Overall it is a nice card with some flaws but is better than a good number of equally priced cards on today's market.

ottozero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Ok this card is not made for users of this website. This card is made for the users extended family members who are cheapskates and dont play video games, but just surf the internet and watch movies (SD) on their PC's.

This is the kinda of Video card that a non-Computer-Dedicated-user-would consider.

I currently use the 4670 1gb and I only Play WOW and CNC games. I use Duo screens one @ 1920x1080(main) and the other @ 1440x900 (secondary). This video card meets my needs.

ottozero

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
[citation][nom]stridervm[/nom]It exists for the people who are still playing on a 1024x768 monitor but still want DX11, yes, they exist. =P[/citation]

I no one of those people... My Brother in law LOL!!!! I started playing WoW @ that resolution in 2004, and after many upgrades and reboots I now Play @ 1920x1080 and I would like to go triple monitor in the future LOL....

G

does this card suffer from the BBC HD acceleration issue in widows 7 mc?

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]who the hell plays Crisys on these crappy cards? These are made to be used ONLY for HTPCss[/citation]

well i do.. on a Nv 9500GT. I play it on med (no AA/AF)@ 1600X900 & still it has a decent enough framerate.. P.S. not everyone can afford fancy graphics cards..

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]4ILY45[/nom]well i do.. on a Nv 9500GT. I play it on med (no AA/AF)@ 1600X900 & still it has a decent enough framerate.. P.S. not everyone can afford fancy graphics cards..[/citation]

Bingo. Yep, I had a 9500 GT recently as well.

Dunno why everyone seems to think anyone who wants to game can afford a really nice video card. In fact, for MOST people I know, this is not true.

I'd LOVE to get a 5850, or even a 4850, but I can't afford it. Ironically enough, considering the comments, I picked up a 4550 for cheap a while ago, because it's better than the integrated HD 3200 I have, and use that. It plays all games on low, so... I can still game, while I save up.

G

Hey i am buying a PC, i have everything figured out, but still little confused with the graphic card. Can anyone tell me what n which one should i use. Presently what i have been told is to go in for NVIDIA 8500 GT. I am not looking for a very expensive card. Something reasonable and good, which can support all kinds of games.

shubham1401

Distinguished
Hey i am buying a PC, i have everything figured out, but still little confused with the graphic card. Can anyone tell me what n which one should i use. Presently what i have been told is to go in for NVIDIA 8500 GT. I am not looking for a very expensive card. Something reasonable and good, which can support all kinds of games.

Ewww.... Don't get 8500GT.
Can't even handle new games at lowest settings.

Wass ur budget?

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]akshit_raj[/nom]Presently what i have been told is to go in for NVIDIA 8500 GT. I am not looking for a very expensive card. Something reasonable and good, which can support all kinds of games.[/citation]

The 8500 GT is terrible. The Radeon HD 4650 is much, MUCH better and about the same $50 price online.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
the card is not fast enough handle direct x 11, it is just lone how in the early 90's, some companies made 64 bit processors but you don't see any of them on computers running windows xp 64 f vista or windows 7

the card can support something new but it is not fast enough to be useful with the new stuff so it is the same as not supporting it.

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
"Left 4 Dead is not a beautiful game. It's fun, that's different. It looks like Quake 3 Arena with a few more poly and better textures. It's hard to notice how bad it looks when you're frantically running around, but actually stop and look at stuff and you'll see what I mean."

quake 3 arena runs about 30 times as well and came out ages ago. So if it looks so bad why does it have such high system reqs compared to q3?

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
because the guy is full of bs. l4d looks much better than q3. heck HL2 looks better than q4 or d3. the hl2 engine got a face lift for hl2 so it looks even better. hl2 engine has had a long life, and proved to be one of the most scalable graphics engines of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.