ATI Stream: Finally, CUDA Has Competition

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberlink

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mospeada[/nom]Expresso maybe using low performance codec for CPU transcoding so that it looks like the GPU transcoding have some benefits. Its a dirty marketing tactic. See http://www.pcgeek.my[/citation]

MediaShow Espresso has the highest possible CPU transcoding performance... and the results show this. You just need to have a decent CPU. The conspiracy theorist wasn't using the new version of MediaShow Espresso, and therefore wasn't seeing the new Stream encoding capability.

Narg - what 3rd party solutions are you referring to? Top software vendors like Cyberlink are working directly with our hardware partners to implement these solutions. This is giving you more benefit from your existing hardware... not a waste of time or money in my opinion.

Tom Vaughan
Cyberlink

mospeada

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Tom - If you optimize CPU transcoding performance some more, the more Stream benefits dies off. Radeon owners are expecting the GPU will play more role in transcoding rather than CPU because thats what AMD claims were. On the other hand they would also like to see improvement of transcoding in Core i7. So how?

cyberlink

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mospeada[/nom]Tom - If you optimize CPU transcoding performance some more, the more Stream benefits dies off. Radeon owners are expecting the GPU will play more role in transcoding rather than CPU because thats what AMD claims were. On the other hand they would also like to see improvement of transcoding in Core i7. So how?[/citation]

Good question. On the Core i7 you'll see that MediaShow Espresso will take full advantage of all 8 threads... and the performance is very high. A fast CPU actually helps a fast GPU because it doesn't become a bottleneck in the overall process. We're continuing to work with our hardware partners to optimize performance in every area... CPU and GPU. All I can say at this point is... stay tuned.

Tom

G

In the picture of the flower, I find it better looking upscaled than original. Colors are more vivid and real; less washed out, and detail is greater. Also artifacts from jpeg compression on edges has been removed. As a result of the improved colors and the removed artifacts you can indeed see the jagged ends better. The program should recognize this pattern, and use AA on it, but that would increase the graphics load by several times!
On the next picture (of the guy) noise seems to be slightly removed (could be due to color correction), and there seems to be a tad of sharpness applied to the images.
I'd say the upscaling did a good job, as the jagged edges would only be visible in still pictures, not really in motion.

G

There's a lot of misleading in this article. I followed those directions and used both Espresso and Avivo. With Espresso the GPU usage stays at 0 mostly and very rarely goes up in various degrees up to 35%. Avivo instead put my Radeon 4770 at work staying constantly at 21% usage and almost never got below 10%. I managed to convert a low-res avi to 720p H.264 in 45. min, pretty good. Espresso did offer me the closest 1440/1080 H.264 altough 720p is enough and would do it in 2 hrs. Which is better than...?

naidnerb

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
I have to comment a little more...Maybe it's the new Avivo Video Converter to "blame" but when i encode to 720p mpeg-2 it gets the job done in 25 min. for a 700mb video file. Gpu usage stays around 25% and both CPU cores at cca. 75% leaving room for other applications. The praised AVS video converter kept the cores at 100% all the time so I think the manufacturers shoul rethink their positions towards Stream if wish to stay in bussiness. Way to go AMD, way to go...!

Jim0615

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
In the 22 MB YouTube HD video to WMV Xbox 856x480 test, the reason you saw a small acceleration with stream is because they are using the UVD to decode the original, which lowers cpu load slightly. Also the GPU load reading does not include UVD usage. GPU load might even be lower when using UVD in that test.

Jim0615

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Also you state "Neither GPU technology accelerates WMV decoding". They both support it. Also the second chart on page 8 is identical to the one on page 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.