ATI vs NVIDIA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I too was a Nvidia user up until recently.
TNT2 TNT2pro Geforce2pro.

When the time came the ATI cards had everything i needed. Fast all round performance, quiet and cool running, great IQ and great drivers.

<b>Lead me not into temptation.
I know the way myself. :evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Since we're all confessing about our graphics card life changes;

I was a HAPPY Matrox user/fan (Mystique 4mb + Rainbow Runner, Marvel G200TV PCI); before 3D and OpenGL/Quake issues pushed me first to a RIVA TNT 16mb (my first AGP card) replaced by Rage Fury Pro32mb (later sold to a friend), also adding an ATI AIW 128pro PCI (start of seperate gaming/video rigs)a long with the Fury , then R8500DV, which was fairly quickly given away to a friend and replaced with an R9000 (I was sold on the video smoothing early) in the Video rig, and finally an R9600P in the gaming rig.

But I'm much happier now, yes, sure I am, I'm definitely happier, sure... Crappy 2D!
Oh, no, Noo the ATI loves us they cares about us!
Lies all Lies! Filthy Blurry 2D! We wants our precious!

Forget nV and ATI Buy a Matrox, don't suffer through Mediocre 2D!

:lol:

Oh and while we're confessing;

It burns when I pee... into a campfire. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/" target="_new">-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</A>

nickd

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2003
SOD said about the FX cards..."The problem is they are getting a bad reputation because they seem to not work to well at all."

No, they got a bad reputation because performance wasn't great early on and there was much publicity about 'driver cheats' which people have never gotten over. I only got my 5900 Ultra in September and it has been nothing but a kick ass card. The only problem I have had was the 52.x drivers messing up Desert Conflict - now fixed in 53.03.

Stability 100%, performance 100%.

If you live an breathe benchmarks, my P4 2.8 with 5900 Ultra gets nearly 7000 in 3DMark03-03 and 46000 in AquaMark3 (6300 and 42000 without OC...). From what I can read, those figures are up there with the best of them.

And when it comes to actual gaming, it's as good as I could wish for.

Unless I got very lucky, I can't see what those complaining are on about.

zid1992

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Hi Everyone,

I have both Radeon 9800 XT 256MB& Geforce FX 5900 256MB. I'm pretty happy with both, but I will give the Geforce a slight edge, because of the driver support.

Pretty simply. The FX's require work arounds that the ATI cards don't and even then they often underperform against the competition in newer titles. I'm not just talking benchmarks either. Take a look at a Digit-Life review and you will see a few issues that still plague the FX series. And also benchmarks are the worst way to compare, because THEY are the few things that nV applies their run-time compiler optimizations on. Right now they will hold their own against most other products because of the work around. However the fact that they need that work around is still a concern for anyone wanting to play titles unlikely to become PR benchmarks, and thus unlikely to receive special attention in the forceware tweaks.

I still wouldn't rate them high, but they aren't the dogs they used to be. and I wouldn't rate the nV drivers as being much higher than ATI either. If anything I'd give them close to par.

I will conceed a little history in the drivers, but then you'd have to conceed the same history in the architecture. Also remember before the Forceware drivers the nV drivers were definitely worse than the ATI drivers. Finally nV has decided to head back to their roots in that department.

So MY marks;

For the CARDS:

ATI A-
nV B+

For the DRIVERS;

nV A
ATI A-

Both have work to do in both areas.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <b>RED GREEN</b> GA to SK :evil:

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/" target="_new">-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</A>