ATI2DVAG, BSOD, RANDOM RESATRS, HELP!

rccola2424

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Well, It's either Windows, or ATI.|
About 6 months ago, I bought this low-profile Graphics card (GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD4550 Low Profile) It installed fine, and was running great, up until recently! I tried to start F.E.A.R. one time, and it BSOD'd and said that ATI2DVAG.dll got in an infinite loop, and ever since then, certain programs, when opened, will restart my computer completely! It's random, too, like, sometimes I CAN play F.E.A.R. sometimes, it causes me to crash and restart. I searched around to see if there were any solutions to this ANNYOING problem, but there are none! The only ones I saw were to Down-grade the driver.
Although, I saw somewhere that the 4000 Series doesn't like Windows XP (SP2), which is EXACTLY what I'm running.
Anyone know what's going on?
Also, would this card/ATI'sCatalyst run well on Windows Version 2000?

You can't expect your system to run correctly if you don't even keep Windows updated.

Secondly, what video card did you have before? Did you properly clean out all the old drivers before installing new drivers?

Now you want to know if the video card will run on Windows 2000......seriously?

Your aware that 2000 was ELEVEN AND A HALF YEARS ago right??

Could also be a insufficient power supply, but you've failed to mention that, which is the most important part of a pc.

I chalk this one up to user error, not Windows or ATI.

rccola2424

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Well, iam2thecrowe, how do I update Windows? Big Fix went down for windows last year, and I hate using windows' Site, it's confusing! So if you could help, how do I upgrade to SP3?
And, "Geek Approved" Your first point, I agree with, although, it's not that far behind for XP.
"Secondly" I never had a videocard before, I had the integrated Intel video drivers, and GPU chip. (Couldn't run CSS on low.... So yeah, needed an upgrade.)
Also, yes, I am "aware" that 2000 came out 11 years ago, I asked if it works, not a rhetorical question with no answer.
And yes, my 750W Rosewill power supply can definitely run this LOW-PROFILE graphics card.
Also, "GeekApproved" if you would've simply looked up "ati2vdag.dll BSOD" (Or something like that) You'd know that it's happening to people using much more updated versions of Windows than I am.
"I'm chalking this one up as a user error, not ATI or Windows." Don't make me giggle, now.

-TGK

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
You should scan your system first for file and file system errors:

Open a command prompt and run the following:

CHKDSK /R /F (for file system errors. Note there are blank spaces before the slashes)

and then

SFC /SCANNOW (for file version errors. Note there is a blank space before the slash)

After these two commands are run, then download a memory diagnostic tool from

http://www.memtest.org/

and create a bootable CD-R. Boot to this CD-R and run the test for at least 4 hours to see if you have RAM defects. In order to be able to boot to the CD-R, you may have to make changes to the boot order in BIOS.

Hope the above helps.

I'm well aware of ati2vdag and atikmdag as well as nvlddmkm (nvidia).

I've had atikmdag myself but was able to fix it.

I haven't had XP in over 6 years so I have no idea where windows update is, but I'm sure it's easy to find if you look. You do not need to go to Windows website. If you had your system set up for automatic updates, you wouldn't need to do it at all, it would update itself.

NO IT WILL NOT WORK ON WINDOWS 2000. I thought that was a given, sorry.

rccola2424

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

Thanks a lot, I'll try these out!

rccola2424

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

Oh God, sorry I even asked that question, because, I was planning on selling this card to a friend, so I asked him what version of Windows he had, so he said "2000" like an idiot.
He just has Windows XP Version 2000, that's all.
He updated all his sh*t s he's fine.
And I used Automatic updates just about an hour ago, so we'll see what happens.