ATL message

Hello...

I've encountered a problem where I've been online lately and a ATL message
come up which states says something about ATL.DLL not being able to run on
Windows 95 and that the correct version needs to be installed. What's that
all about if your OS is Windows 98? Is there a special download for this
ATL.DLL file? I did a search on the file yesterday and found out that the
file is an Application extension and ATL Module for Windows NT.

Hope someone can give me a hand.

Thanks!
--
T. Davis

You can extract atl.dll from the Windows CD, or from the CAB file location on the
hard drive, using System File Checker (SFC) to "Extract one file".
It belongs in the Windows\System folder.

Using SFC to extract a file:
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5

I believe it needs to be registered after it is extracted to the Windows\System
folder.
To register the extracted copy, go to Start>Run, type:
regsvr32 atl.dll
and press <enter>
You will get a confirmation message if it is successful.

It is also installed by Internet Explorer 6 SP1 ....reinstalling IE over itself
should replace the file, and that is arguably the best method.

Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/r5ba

Alternately, and possibly the simplest method, you could download this .cab file
http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vc/atl.cab

This .cab file (which is like a .zip file) contains a file named "atl.exe"
Running atl.exe should install the correct version of atl.dll, according to your
operating system.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm