ATX 12v 1 and ATX 12v 2

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Ok I currently have the ASrock Extreme 9 Mobo with a CoolMax 850w PSu with 2x6 pin PCIe 2.0 connectors. Now my question is today I noticed on the mobo that it had (2) ATX 12v ports right next to each other and the current psu I have is connected to port " ATX 12v 1" now can I connect another psu or run the proper wire to connect another 8 pin power wire to "ATX 12v 2" so both slots ATX12v 1&2 are used to get maxium power out of the board or does it only require the 1 8pin wie from the PSU that it is currently running on? I seen in some forums that people say you can use both ATX12v1 and ATX12v2 and it will give the mobo extra power for overclocking or are these people trying to get people to fry there boards? Thanks for your help - DuBZz

Although the board will run just fine with one 8pin 12V ATX, those people are not trying to fry their boards or anyone else's, that is what the second ATX connector is for - overclocking stability. Amazingly enough, I could find nothing in your mobo manual about it's function other than what I consider a marketing blurb. On the Newegg overview of the motherboard, Paul does mention that both of those should be plugged in for overclocking but it's 15:50 into the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBt5TJzRY8E
Enjoy

The two ATX connecors , ATX 1 and ATX 2 should be from the same psu and if you try to mix in another psu on the same motherboard you will have issues. The newer power supplies are now coming with to ATX power connectors just for those boards that take two ATX connectors. You also cannot use the 8 pin Pcie connector for the second ATX connector.
The second 8 pin connector is there to help the cpu overclock , it doesn't mean that you can't if you only have the one ATX connector. You still can overclock but it's a little harder to get the voltages right.
I just looked at the board and did not see a second 8 pin connector , unless Newegg is using the wrong picture in the web page. The details page also says one ATX cpu connector Is the motherboard you are refering to the 2011 socket or the 1155 socket.I did see a molex connector just above the first Pci-e slot and that is for if you have two or more video cards then you should connect the molex plug to help the Pci-e slots with voltage for more then two cards.

Inzone has good points (BTW, it's socket 2011 not 1155) about your connectors. You will usually not find two ATX 12V connectors on a single PSU of less than 1000W rating and even then you wuld have to shop around some I think (my 1kW PSU has an 8pin ATX and a 4pin ATX - I couldn't figure that out until I saw a mobo that would actually take that configuration).

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I believe I have a second connector but it is a 6pin with a 2pin that clips on to it to make it a 8 pin will that work? it isn't like the the atx corrd in there now which is straight out of the psu this cord is detachable from the psu completely like I said it is a 6 pin but has a 2pin right next to itand the clips on each cnnector to connect them together like the 8 pin in the atx12v now.

NO
That's pcie
Do you have an Extreme chip , 3960X ?
Looking to do extreme overclocking ?
If no, you shouldn't need the second connector

Those are the Pci-e connectors that you don't want to use for the ATX connection. The only connectors that are for the ATX socket are either an eight pin connector or a split 4x4 pin connector. Any connector end that has a six plus two is a Pci-e connector.

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
ok I just figured that out looking at the pin setup on the 6+2 pin it has a notch on the side that wouldnt let the power cord slide in even if you tried. I have a 3930k with a 6870 HD 2Gb but im looing to upgrade to 2 7900 series for a eyefinity setup soon. I was also wondering something else (sorry for the noob questions) My coolmax 850watt Psu has only 1 atx12v power cord, is there a way to buy another and add it to my existing psu because I have 4 add-on slots to add extra power cord and sata power cord. I was wondering if I did buy a new atx12v cord and pluged it into he psu and ran it to the 2nd atx12v if the negative and positive wiring will be correct for the ax12v. Because the atx12v that powers the board now is really 4+4 but there is only 2 blac wires from the psu and 2 yellow wires and then they took 2 yellows wires coming out of the yellows going in and connected them to the other 4 pin thats beside it and dito with the black wires.

Are you planning an extreme overclock on tha i7-3930k? If your not then you don't need the second 8 pin ATX connector. That connector wll only supply power to the cpu when in an extreme overclock situation and in all other instances will not be needed or useful. I know it's there and you feel that you should connect a cable to it and that somehow that will be used in some way to make your motherboard and/or cpu better but it won't.

OKGEAR Model PP-P4XEON 14" Molex 4 pin to ATX 8 pin cable
$4.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123344

Athena Power Model Cable-AD4/8Pin 8" 4pin (HD MALE) to 8pin (EPS-12V Female) Convertor - OEM
$3.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198003

Plus if you need an exstension;

1ST PC CORP. Model CB-8M-8F 12" 8-pin EPS extension cable
$7.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706004

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

I have my rig overclocked as we speak but I won't get into serious OC intill I have it setup right. And like you said there is part o me that says that plug has to be filled to acheive some sort of useless goal that will make no difference LoL. Anyways INZONE i appreciate your time and patience as I'm not the smartest person when it comes to computers, as a matter of fact I just built my first rig in may and im 28 y/o. I just started getting into building my own rig and the fun of modding it has just taken over me. There is still tons I want to learn such as how raids work (still havent got a clue but i have marvelltray, a raid program LoL, Lan Teaming, water cooling, and I really want to make my own cases as I have been in the fiberglass / paint industry for over 12 years now. I have a couple graphic designs and fiberglass concepts I want to try. I dont even think they make fiberglass cases which baffles me as they have way less heat retention the aluminum cases and 25x's the durability then aluminum also. Plus the electronic component side of it is endless in possibilites aand platforms. I'm sure ths isn't the last you'll hear from me cause I have alot more to learn. Again thanks for your time and I appreciate it ALOT
- DuBZz

Maybe the fiberglass i in some way not cost effective? Then ther is the screw holes and the ability of aluminum to have a screw hole tapped out so something can be attached to it. They do however seem to be able to use plastic.
Anyway , I hope your able to get that second ATX connection with the adaptors that I linked.

DuBZzz00

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
you can make anything out of fiberglass, 99% of todays boats are fiberglass with little to no metal bracing. As for the cost its moderate most likely in the range of the aluminum cases but I see fiberglass becoming to labor intensive for larger scale companies who want quanity instead of quality, but when it comes to truly custom cases fiberglass is the way to go. You can tap screws in it all day no problem, the weight of componets would be your last problem as fiberglass is more durable and has more give before it breaks and good luck breaking a sheet of fiberglass in half when done right not gonna happen. Like I said if its layed right and the glass is mixed right using the correct measurments it will NOT break. I got into fiberglass because my dad was a glass man and he did boats. I used to skateboard and would break $50-$60 boards in a week or 2 time well one day he put a 2mm layer of fiberglass with a tight woven mesh for added support, I could NOT break the thing if I tried and believe me I tried a 14 y/o wants a new board whenever he can get one. 140Lbs jumping down 6 stairs landing in the center of a 31.5 inch long board and didnt even crack. Plus you would get a way better paint job on it where it would look like glass. Im going to come up with a design and show you guys on here maybe I'm on to something new here. But give me sometime and i'll post pics!!