[SOLVED] ATX 360mm top mounted

Jul 12, 2020
I recently upgraded to the ML360R and bought a new case for it (thermaltake v200 tg rgb).
The case was great and fit everything in it but I had to front mount the radiator which the front is not mesh resulting in some not good thermals. My temps are 80 under full load with the front on and 67 while off. I will note the fans and pump are not full speed at 67.
I can still return the case.
I was wondering if there were any good alternatives. I'm not too particulairly worried about thermals because I rarely run it under full load

Solution
The loud pump is because the cooler is not a great model, and uses a cheaper pump design.

However, this is a problem with a LOT of AIO systems, which is why I MUCH prefer an air cooler, aside from the fact that air coolers don't have any potential for "leaks" like an AIO. They are simply much quieter and make for a much quieter system overall.

If the cooler could be returned, the better option IMO might be to keep the case, return the cooler and replace it with something quieter in an AIO like one of the newer Corsair models that are definitely a lot quieter, or preferably, a very good air cooler. Obviously, that would be my preference but then again I'm not a huge fan of AIO coolers to begin with so take it with a grain of salt.

As...
Before going any further, take the front panel OFF, and run it without the front panel on to see if there is any change in thermal performance. If there is not, then the front panel is not the problem.

I'm guessing it probably IS though.

The pump SHOULD, ALWAYS, be running at full speed, so if the header the pump is connected to is not configured for full time 100% operation, then change it, because it should be. Pumps are designed to run at full speed. Fans on the radiator are designed to be run at variable speed based on CPU thermal condition.

If you can return the case, it might be a good idea as that case does have some fair number of threads across the web where thermal performance is a dominant complaint and the same goes for the results of many of the reviews done on this case as well.

Right off the top of my head, the Fractal Design Define S2 Meshify would be a really good choice if thermal performance is the highest priority, which it should be, in every case. Aesthetics are important too, but they should take a backseat to airflow and thermal performance.

How much do you want to budget for a case, because as you may know, the prices for pretty much ALL hardware are MUCH higher than normal right now due to the fact that most of it comes from China and China has not been manufacturing or shipping pretty much anything for most of the last four months.

Jul 12, 2020
Before going any further, take the front panel OFF, and run it without the front panel on to see if there is any change in thermal performance. If there is not, then the front panel is not the problem.

I'm guessing it probably IS though.

The pump SHOULD, ALWAYS, be running at full speed, so if the header the pump is connected to is not configured for full time 100% operation, then change it, because it should be. Pumps are designed to run at full speed. Fans on the radiator are designed to be run at variable speed based on CPU thermal condition.

If you can return the case, it might be a good idea as that case does have some fair number of threads across the web where thermal performance is a dominant complaint and the same goes for the results of many of the reviews done on this case as well.

Right off the top of my head, the Fractal Design Define S2 Meshify would be a really good choice if thermal performance is the highest priority, which it should be, in every case. Aesthetics are important too, but they should take a backseat to airflow and thermal performance.

How much do you want to budget for a case, because as you may know, the prices for pretty much ALL hardware are MUCH higher than normal right now due to the fact that most of it comes from China and China has not been manufacturing or shipping pretty much anything for most of the last four months.

Testing with full speed on both fan and pump is as follows (10min runs Small FFTs on Prime95)-
Another thing to note. I am pulling air into the case.
Front ON: 72 C - 3.825GHz.
Front OFF: 64 C -- 3.85GHz

Pump is currently set to max speed. Out of curiousity is there a downside to running it at partial speed; it's the loudest component to my system unless my GPU is at max speed (that's another really complicated issue that I'm 95% sure is unrelated to thermals). If not I'll set it up so it jumps from min (65%) to max over a degree.

I think I can return the case; bought it through Amazon so there's that.

I would prefer to be under $100 USD, but I do have my old case laying around that while incompatible with a 360mm AIO; I could definitely set something up (Corsair n400)

While thermals should be a priority they're not the highest as I do not intend to overclock my CPU, and I only occasionally have it under full load and well my cooler is from my research one of the best.

The loud pump is because the cooler is not a great model, and uses a cheaper pump design.

However, this is a problem with a LOT of AIO systems, which is why I MUCH prefer an air cooler, aside from the fact that air coolers don't have any potential for "leaks" like an AIO. They are simply much quieter and make for a much quieter system overall.

If the cooler could be returned, the better option IMO might be to keep the case, return the cooler and replace it with something quieter in an AIO like one of the newer Corsair models that are definitely a lot quieter, or preferably, a very good air cooler. Obviously, that would be my preference but then again I'm not a huge fan of AIO coolers to begin with so take it with a grain of salt.

As to it being "one of the best" from your research, I think you should have avoided looking at the Tom's hardware review, and dug a bit deeper.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360r-rgb/9.html

And this from thinkcomputers.

Finally performance, it’s hard to say where this unit comes up short specifically, but it does. Is it the materials? The dual chamber design? Hard to say but something is keeping what should be a smash hit of a cooler from doing job #1.

And then you read things like this, from the Proclockers review:

Even during the tortuous Prime95 tests both the pump and fans were pretty much whisper silent with the pump only being heard a handful of times.

Which makes you feel like you need to disregard the entire review after you hear somebody like you come along and say in no uncertain terms " the pump is the loudest component in my system unless the graphics card is at max speed".

Obviously what you do is up to you, but I think you can see that the front panel IS definitely a hindrance to cooling, with an 8 degree difference simply by removing it. That's a huge difference when we're talking about making what should be a minor change by removing the front panel. So, IDK, maybe that case with an air cooler ISN'T a great idea after all, as it would still be starving for airflow to the CPU cooler.

What is your motherboard model and which header is the pump currently plugged into?

Loud AIO pump noise ML360R

Reactions: 1mBad
Solution
Jul 12, 2020

As to it being "one of the best" from your research, I think you should have avoided looking at the Tom's hardware review, and dug a bit deeper.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml360r-rgb/9.html

And this from thinkcomputers.

And then you read things like this, from the Proclockers review:

Which makes you feel like you need to disregard the entire review after you hear somebody like you come along and say in no uncertain terms " the pump is the loudest component in my system unless the graphics card is at max speed".

Obviously what you do is up to you, but I think you can see that the front panel IS definitely a hindrance to cooling, with an 8 degree difference simply by removing it. That's a huge difference when we're talking about making what should be a minor change by removing the front panel. So, IDK, maybe that case with an air cooler ISN'T a great idea after all, as it would still be starving for airflow to the CPU cooler.

What is your motherboard model and which header is the pump currently plugged into?

Loud AIO pump noise ML360R

Honestly mind blown but, my personal findings do have strong correlations to what you're saying. Returning the cooler is definitely something that could be done. The performance I saw from this was in comparison to an improperly installed stock wraith cooler so it seems amazing (previously had an fx8350 with a corsair h60 which performed OK). I do think I will look into this a bit more and most likely do as you suggested.
build
I personally really like the idea of an AIO, it's kind of cool to me, but I do think I will go after a nice air cooler or one of the new corsairs

Jul 12, 2020
Honestly mind blown but, my personal findings do have strong correlations to what you're saying. Returning the cooler is definitely something that could be done. The performance I saw from this was in comparison to an improperly installed stock wraith cooler so it seems amazing (previously had an fx8350 with a corsair h60 which performed OK). I do think I will look into this a bit more and most likely do as you suggested.
build
I personally really like the idea of an AIO, it's kind of cool to me, but I do think I will go after a nice air cooler or one of the new corsairs
Sorry just remembered I forgot to respond about the ports, the fans are connected to CPU FAN 1 and the pump is CPU FAN/PUMP 2