Audio and Asus maximus vii hero

Marcus A

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
I currently have two head sets. I have a Razer megalodon and a Sennheiser HD555 modded to HD595. The Razer has its own sound card built in and the HD555 use my current on board audio and the HD555 blow the Rzaer's out of the water by far. What i don't like about the HD555's is there is no mic and the external mic's suck!!!

So i'm considering getting a new headset that has a mic built in. I have a few questions and concerns.

One option is keeping my HD555 and i was looking at the Astro Mix-Amp to boost the quality of the HD555's. I read that your board has to be able to process DDL (dolby digital live). The Maximus vii hero has Superme FX audio that does process 7.1 sound. This should be good enough for the Astro's mixamp to work correct?

Next option is retiring these headsets and get an all in one solution. What i'm noticing is a lot fo the headsets come with sound cards built in and from my experience with the Razer i have been impressed with that option. I've been looking at the Sennheiser PC360's and PC363D's. Which of these would be a better option? Will i get better performance from the built in sound card of the PC363D's or using my onboard audio with the PC360's?

Lastly would the PC363D's or the PC360's benefit from an astros mixamp?

Solution
Also, I have a sound card from my old rig I can throw into my new rig. Its a Asus Xonar STX. This card does process DDL if a astros mixamp would be beneficial for enhancing the audio.

Could this improve my sound vs my onboard audio?

For the record I primarily play FPS games and want to increase footsteps and movements etc. I occasionally use my rig as a theater system, but not very often.

Marcus A

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
Also, I have a sound card from my old rig I can throw into my new rig. Its a Asus Xonar STX. This card does process DDL if a astros mixamp would be beneficial for enhancing the audio.

Could this improve my sound vs my onboard audio?

For the record I primarily play FPS games and want to increase footsteps and movements etc. I occasionally use my rig as a theater system, but not very often.

Solution