Audio from headphones is distorted

Kalamari

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Hello,

So for a few weeks I have been experiencing an issue where audio coming from my computer is severely distorted. The only way I can describe it is as if someone was playing the sound underwater. I have tried many 'fixes' found on the internet including:

• ■ Uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers
    ■ Changing headphones
    ■ Removing programs of potential audio interference
    ■ Making sure everything inside the computer is seated properly
    ■ Using Realtek HD audio manager
    ■ Using Windows troubleshoot tool
    ■ Contacting Windows support
    ■ Making sure I have the right codecs
    ■ Running several virus scans
    ■ Changing settings in playback options
    ■ Disabling CPU Throttling
    ■ Changing power plans to full performance
However, none of these aforementioned methods proved effective at solving my issue. I have found that adjusting the audio balance towards one ear helps clear some sound, however it is only a temporary fix, as having all the audio concentrated in one ear hurts quite a lot and definitely not something I want to be doing for longer than five minutes.

One thing in particular I have noticed in regards to this situation, is that at random intervals, the sound will be 'normal' for a few minutes, and then return to the garbled state it is usually in for anywhere from half an hour to one hour.

If anyone can identify the problem and/or offer potential fixes, it would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

System Specs:

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
CPU: Intel i7 4690K LGA1150 Quad-core
Memory: Kingston Fury Blue 2x4GB DDR3
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650W
Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer

Black_Plague

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Does this happen all the time or only when playing mp3 etc sound files or videos.
If it only happens while listening to mp3 and such right click on windows media player, and choose graphic equalizer. And reset it. If it is happening all the time:
The likely cause is a cpu throttling function in the bios. Next likely is cpu throttling in software starting with Windows.

Check them both out. A common term for this is called Cool-N-Quiet or something like that.
If there is a setting for Plug and Play OS, set it to yes.

Kalamari

Reputable
May 1, 2015

This problem occurs with any sort of audio, whether it be from a game, or a YouTube video. Pretty much any sound coming from the computer is distorted, so no, it isn't a problem with WMP, but I will have a look into CPU throttling. Thank you for replying.

EDIT: I disabled CPU Thermal Throttling in BIOS and changed Windows power plan to full performance, yet no change. I'm stumped as to what the problem could be.