Audio Problem No Sound

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I have my desktop hooked up to a hdmi to dvi cable and a pair of speakers that use to run seperate of the display. However when i cleaned my system the sound keeps wanting to go through the HDMI cord but cant, my question is there a way to make it come through the speakers by default or not?

Solution
Mine are just the ones from gigabyte(and old).

You can try one of the two that they have over on the Asus website(it comes with drivers and software in one package).

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

Of course.

SoftwareInformation.jpg

Let me check the video drivers however.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

All my Drivers in my Device Manager, I do not see a separated Video control it is as if they are one.

DevicesPart1.jpg
DevicesPart2.jpg
DevicesPart3.jpg

You can FORCE that sucker.

use the update driver software option and then tell it browser my computer then tell it let me pick and use Have Disk.... to select the inf file for your driver.

Has your setup always been called vision engine control center? It seems to be missing all kinds of options that the Catalyst Control Center seems to have.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

Just as I thought it made no difference it is almost like it doesn't know that the speakers are plugged in. It switches output on the computer itself but no where the playback is coming though let me show you.

The only time I get sound & sound output on this setting...sound has always been the one thing with computers that frustrates me completely.

WhatIGetSoundononlyifsetasdefault.jpg

These other two settings they show it has playback but have no where to go....this is all with Pandora playing in the background.

NoSound1.jpg

NoSound2.jpg

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

Here are some shots of them.

SoundDevices1.jpg

SoundDevices2.jpg

They are are not even seeing the speakers as shown above....

Something is VERY wrong here.

This is something I have also never seen happen.

Can you disconnect the front port audio cable from the motherboard in case it has messed things up somehow.

It worked perfectly fine before right.

What other input options does your monitor have?

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Perfectly...No VGA on the monitor just HDMI which is why I liked the DVI-HDMI converter....I will try that after work tomorrow night, thanks for your help so far, I never touched a a single setting before it just figured it out. Used the same disc this time around same order of the installed drivers just used all of the programs off the ASUS CD instead of only a few, and everything else was the same.

The only thing I am left with would be a full uninstall and clean(uninstall.reboot,driver sweeper or driver fusion and so on.) of all video/audio driver and then start one at a time(start with sound) to try to get things going and see when things go wrong.

Unless Asus included some strange software making this happen on the DVD that came with the board.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
The only other thing I can think of besides that which will include the full reinstall of windows (doesn't take that long), will be to do it like I did the first time and have the converter hooked up and the speakers plugged in.

ddbtkd456

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Sometime when I have time I will take out my graphics card and make sure it is all seated properly (the connections). However for now I think you should go ahead and close this topic, as I have what I need. Now I just have to figure it out from there. If I have any further questions I will be sure to pm you and ask you directly or start a new topic and let you know. Thanks for all your responses I know its a frustrating thread but thank you for your time.