Audio splitting software

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I have a GTX 295 connected to the HD audio jumper on my motherboard. I run dual monitors with the living room TV connected to HDMI and the monitor at my desk connected with DVI.

I play movies in the living room for my daughter while I play games at my desk. Currently I have to choose between the digital output for the TV and analog output for my computer speakers.

Is there anyway to split the audio between applications? I'd like the have the audio from whatever application I have running on my monitor output to my speakers and the audio for the movies output digitally through the HDMI. Currently I have to play games with the sound turned off to avoid it being sent to the TV.

I'm using the realtek HD audio driver that came with my Gigabyte motherboard GA-EX58-UD4P.

papercuts

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
The only way I am able do this, is with a 35'ft. digital toslink Optical Cable going from my motherboard (Gigabyte ep45-ud3p) -> to my Blu Ray 5.1 surround sound home theater system.

But to get it to work I have to do the following:
In playback devices, Disable everything.
Then I Open up my media player Software like VLC for example on the extended display and play the movie. Right Click audio properties and select A/52 over S/PDIF.
Then I enable Digital Audio (S/PDIF) as the default device in windows playback devices.
Last step is to just enable my pc speakers which will now keep my pc audio separate from the kids movies playing across the living room.

I discovered this on accident and it works with my setup, so your setup may not work like mine does.

I have a Radeon 6870 dvi to my primary pc dispay, HDMI to my 50" plasma across the room. I disabled HDMI sound in windows audio properties as another adjustment. My PC 2.1 speakers are a single cable, green connector to the motherboard.