News Audiophile mechanical keyboard debuts — the Fiio KB3 HiFi has onboard DACs and op-amps integrated into its new keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I mean, $20 to have the extra hardware in there isn't bad at all if you like the board otherwise, but any "serious" audiophile is either going to have a DAP or DAC/amp they connect to the PC already. Very niche use case, don't know who this is for. People that only listen to very easy to drive headphones or IEMs who don't want to wear out the USB-C port on whatever they use for portable listening, or gamers who want clearer higher quality audio for their headphones for FPS, I guess.

Reactions: bit_user

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
I expect this will appeal to 'aspirational' audiophiles and/or keyboard enthusiasts primarily. It could also make sense for office environments where you've decided that you can't live without quality wired headphones, but minimizing desktop footprint and reducing wiring complexity is a priority.

Reactions: bit_user

UnforcedERROR

Proper
Sep 27, 2023
I mean, $20 to have the extra hardware in there isn't bad at all if you like the board otherwise, but any "serious" audiophile is either going to have a DAP or DAC/amp they connect to the PC already. Very niche use case, don't know who this is for. People that only listen to very easy to drive headphones or IEMs who don't want to wear out the USB-C port on whatever they use for portable listening, or gamers who want clearer higher quality audio for their headphones for FPS, I guess.
The specs list 550mW x2 at 32ohm, which is actually not at all awful. It's not dedicated balanced amp territory, but it's respectable, and could certainly drive a lot of headphones properly. I can see the use case here for people trying to minimize desk space, since even small amp/dacs take up room. But also, the best cheap options for an amp/dac will still run you $200, so there's also that argument.

If this is properly implemented design, I could certainly see it filling that audio niche for budget-conscious people who also want a customizable keyboard. I have friends I'd recommend this to, for instance, if it's not just a cheap implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.