Question Auros X-470 Gaming Ultra Smart HUD Utility

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
So I am trying to use the Smart HUD utility that came with this board, basically a video overlay you can see while in-game, and I just cannot get it working correctly. When I fire it up I can hear the audio but the video never shows on screen. Alt+Tab shows the video window in the apps running and the video itself plays in this state while previewing. The issue is I cannot get it to overlay the desktop or my games. Searching Auros site yielded a 2yr old question about the same issue and a response from the forum moderator that if more people were having the issue there would be more posts, with no answer or troubleshooting steps. What an arrogant bunch considering their software is generally garbage. This feature would be useful to me, however, and I'm hoping someone here has a solution. Thanks for any info !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
Have you performed the actions that this video demonstrates?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzuxRQHMoaI

Also, are your video drivers up to date? What are the specs for your rig (make/model of all components)? You running Windows 10?
Yes, I already watched the video several times, and other than "start the HUD" there aren't that many directions to follow. I am just using the default video, and this same tutorial video in the HUD but have never had it going. All drivers and Windows 10 are up to date, newest BIOS, I did all that before I made a post here.

My System:
Ryzen 7 1800X
Auros X-470 Gaming Ultra
32g Corsair Sk Hynix @2400MHz
Powercolor RX580 8g
Soundblaster X-FI Titanium 7.1 Soundcard
500g 970 EVO boot M.2 SSD
500g 850 EVO music SATA SSD
1TB Silicon Power games M.2 SSD
3TB Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER166 storage Internal HDD
5TB Seagate ST5000DM000-1FK178 storage External HDD

Last edited:

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
Understood on the level of detail presented, while not terribly thorough, it does present an apparently working example and thought it might provide a clue for you.

While it should not matter, are you using more than one display?
No at the moment I only have 1 display available. I also wanted to see if I could get this going for use in my oculus rift S, but can't even get it going in "vanilla" mode as it were right now.

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
Do you have issues with any of the other Gigabyte apps? Is the App Center current and up to date?

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility
been without power for a few days. Anyway, yes app center and apps are up to date. As for their other garbage apps, RGB Fusion comes immediately to mind. They have removed the ability to control the white channel in their software even though I have a strip plugged into the RGBW header, and I used to be able to control it with this utility. I cannot find the older version on their site anymore to revert, and my issue pales in comparison to the ENDLESS amount of issues with this utility by other users al over their forums. The issue I have with their apps is not because they are not up to date, its because their apps suck generally. will not be buying another of their boards, but would like to get the utilities going on the one I already own if possible.

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
When you built your rig, did you perform a full, clean install, or did you "recycle" Windows from a previous config?
Just did a clean install 2mo ago. Side note: It appears they have removed the ability to adjust the white channel from their RGB Fusion utility, even though they have an RGBW header that used to have this functionality. I am figuring their HUD utility is probably as broken and garbage as that utility from them, unfortunately, and I am not liable to get it going. Unless someone has an actual workaround solution for this issue, which seems doubtful given the lack of responses. I have been a Comp TIA+ tech for 20 yrs, and have a BS in Computer Sciences, if it was as easy as updating utilities and drivers, or doing a fresh install of windows it would be fixed by now. It is pretty clear they just have garbage utilities, that may have worked in the Dev lab with that hardware config, but go all to hell when it gets out into the wild. I will never buy another Gigabyte board after this. (Not that the other mb makers are any better, but I know these guys suck hard, and figure they can't be any worse.)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I tend to agree with you. Something in your config and the utilities don't get along.

We ask the easy questions first as they most likely to lead to solutions, and we don't know the skill set of members, typically.

Gigabyte sells a lot of motherboards to a bunch of folks and I haven't seen a lot of reports about issues like you are having. Makes me wonder if the issue is specific to your motherboard.

Reactions: ChangeinPortland

ChangeinPortland

Commendable
Sep 9, 2019
I tend to agree with you. Something in your config and the utilities don't get along.

We ask the easy questions first as they most likely to lead to solutions, and we don't know the skill set of members, typically.

Gigabyte sells a lot of motherboards to a bunch of folks and I haven't seen a lot of reports about issues like you are having. Makes me wonder if the issue is specific to your motherboard.
You may be correct, I suspect it is not a problem with this board but rather one of those things where 90%+ of users who buy one don't even bother with using their utilities, so they never get many reports of problems. I also think this particular utility is of less demand since most folks are able to get a dual monitor setup going without spending $1000 for monitors like the olden days. I just have special circumstances where I want to actually use it, and I'm sure most people don't need this one in particular to begin with. Sigh, thanks for the responses though... :(

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You may be correct, I suspect it is not a problem with this board but rather one of those things where 90%+ of users who buy one don't even bother with using their utilities, so they never get many reports of problems. I also think this particular utility is of less demand since most folks are able to get a dual monitor setup going without spending $1000 for monitors like the olden days. I just have special circumstances where I want to actually use it, and I'm sure most people don't need this one in particular to begin with. Sigh, thanks for the responses though... :(
I am out of ideas. If you ever solve this mystery, please share the solution. Good luck.

Reactions: ChangeinPortland